National 12 - find out more...

Poorly 12!

Started by tomematthews, 22 Oct 2010, 09:16

« previous - next »

tomematthews

Hi all,
Just after a bit of advice - hopefully you guys will be as hepful as ever!
My Crusader (3262) is in need of a little TLC... I've been having major problems getting the centreboard up and down for the last year or so... Have tried everything (including new gaskets) to no real avail. A boatbuilder near me has had a look and has sanded the board down for me, removing some of the paint but not touching the cloth. However, he said there are two problems:
1. The board has swollen where it's cracked and water has got in
2. The boat was left with a bit of water in the bottom for a few weeks and the wood of the centreboard case has actually swollen and become misshapen...
So what I'm wondering is...
1. How much should I be looking at for a new/second hand centreboard? I'm poor and not majorly into racing, so after nothing flashy! Just something basic which will stop me going sideways will suffice!
2. Alternatively, how easy (and expensive) will it be to build my own board (or get someone to do it for me)?
3. The boatbuilder seemed to think the centreboard casing may dry back into shape (fingers crossed!) If not, how much am I looking at to get someone to repair/replace the board casing? Eeek!!
Thanks!!
Tom

tomematthews

Oh, and how major a job is it to repair/replace the centreboard casing?!
Sorry for all the questions!!

n12 Bottom Banner