National 12 - find out more...

Kicker Purchase

Started by Crusader 3244, 13 Apr 2009, 11:33

« previous - next »

Crusader 3244

I am contemplating re-jigging the inherited wire strop cascading kicker which i think the previous owner jury rigged at some ponit, and left it that way.
With a Proctor 'C', is 16:1 adeqauate or does 24:1 make for easier and more practicable control?
'Think 24:1 can be acheived with a two step strop cascade as 2x and 2x, and mated with a 6:1 tackle block rigged with V12 and tails led to cleats on each side of thwart.
Any thoughts anyone?  Should I dispense with wire altogether?
Chris, 3244

Antony (Guest)

Chris,
16:1 is plenty in my view, and i think most people would agree.  We have 2x, 2x and then a 4x as you describe to include the divide to each side of the thwart.  The earlier versions, with 2x 4 times tended to leave you short of 'throw'.
Antony
3514, and 3292...

Martin

I'd ditch the wire in favour of the high strength rope that is currently available.  It's easy to work with and probably cheaper unless you can make up the wire strops yourself.

Crusader 3244

Thank you Anthony and Martin,
Lack of 'throw' is the basic limitation now. I hadn't given it a lot of thought but I think the higher cascade is currently missing and previous owner has rigged string in its' place.
On the strength of your advice I think I will mock up 16:1 with some spare 3mm and see if that floats my biscuit.
Chris, 3244

Phil Brown

We had a 16:1 cascade system and a problem with throw. Now rigged as Antony, 2x, 2x, 4x and it's fine, adequate power and no problem with throw.
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

Crusader 3244

thanks all,
' have a 2x, 2x, 4x set-up mocked up and fully fucntional and it seems to tick the boxes. 24:1 would be overkill, right?
Chris, 3244

n12 Bottom Banner