National 12 - find out more...

National 12 Draft? Potential 12 owner

Started by Jimimaxi, 07 Mar 2012, 08:49

« previous - next »

Jimimaxi

Hi
I currently sail a Laser 2000 at a small inland pond, which in parts is fairly shallow and the Laser 2k sometimes struggles to go in what is the quicket direction without the occasional bounce on the soft stuff. The boat has a draft of 1.2m.
For a while I've been considering a N12 as being much more suited to the water, and to our weight, (I sail with my 8 yr old son, combined weight 16.5 st). My question really is what does the N12 draw, and is there any particular design with a shorter draft, or ones to avoid with a longer draft. Our Budget is £500-£5000k, I'd consider a wooden boat, as the money saved would contribute to building a dble garage so i could store in the winter. I would however be looking for something competitive.
I've been dinghy sailing for 30 yrs and have sailed & raced many boats, but never a 12. I've had a number of RS200's, and assume that this is comparable to the 12 in terms of handling and stabilty. 
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Paul

Jeremy C

You sound like you are an ideal weight for a twelve, added to the fact that you sail at a small venue, this is a bit of a no brainer! the centreboard of a 12 extends a maximum 1070mm below the hull (class rules), and with the wealth of different designs available stability and handling vary and they are a delight to sail. All are more responsive than a 200 and reward balancing the boat well and reacting to gusts quickjly etc. Best thing I would suggest you do is have a go in one! With your budget quite broad you could go for pretty much any boat which is on the websites for sale list.

Where do you sail? might be able to put you in touch with a local 12 owner so tat you can try one out.

there is a beautiful looking restored 'Pipedream' on the for sale list which is a superb small venue performer (points like a beast) http://www.national12.org/boats/index.php?action=view&value=3059, might need some newer sails though.
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

Tim Gatti

Hi Paul
While Jeremy quotes max protrusion of c/bd below the hull many of us 'pond sailors' will often fit a shortened board to suit the water depth of our local venue.
This doesn't seem to affect performance unduly for while we can get our board right down on the beat, those with full size boards are having to raise them to avoid grounding, moving the centre of lateral resistance aft and impacting the balance of the boat and their windward ability.
When sailing at venues with deeper water we'll revert to a full size board.
This strategy also helps to avoid dinks in the leading edge of the board - helping to maintain foil efficiancy.
Some 12 sailors hve also been know to fit undersized rudder blades in the really light stuff to reduce drag.
All within the Class Rules!
I'd strongly recommend you try a 12 - but then I currently have 9 1/2  of them so I am a little biased. (The 1/2 is one still under construction)
Good luck
Tim Gatti

Tim Gatti

Paul - just a thought - if you are are looking for a competitive wooden 12 then take a look at John Meadowcroft's 'Magnificat' currently in the for sale list at a very reasonable price. A great and v fast boat.

She'd be ideal for your pond and if, at a later date, you decided you liked 12 sailing and wanted to upgrade to a more expensive boat it's highly likely you wouldn't lose on the price.
Best wishes
Tim

darebarry

One point not made is that the 12 does not have a dagger board. Hit the bottom with a center board and at worse you will only slow up. Also for £20/30 it is easy to make a center board so yes have a home board of shorter length and a full length one for the sea.
Dare Barry

Tim Gatti

After crewing in a Laser II when they first came out, how could I have forgotten the wretched dagger board - the 'white wall' that always seemed to be in the way - especially on a reach when crossing the boat to get out on the wire on the other tack. (Or cramping your style when their was insufficient breeze to get you out on the wire in the first place!)
Tim

Chadders

I too remember having an ISO with a dagger board and hitting the bottom just as my brother was lowering the genacker, he hit the mast so hard his glasses fell in two and his nose started to fill the boat with blood, not sure he has forgiven me yet.  Thank goodness comon sense prevailed and we went back to sailing our respective and beloved Twelves. 8) :o

n12 Bottom Banner