National 12 - find out more...

School Summer holiday dates

Started by John Meadowcroft, 27 Dec 2006, 09:13

« previous - next »

John Meadowcroft

In order to time future Burton Weeks I am trying to get an understanding of school summer holiday dates.  It has been suggested to me that there is a gradual shift with the dates with the holiday starting earlier in July and finishing as early as August in some cases.

Oliver is going to a pre school and his holiday dates for 2007 are Friday 20 July to Monday 3 September.  It looks like he goes back the first monday after the august bank holiday.  We have no details for 2008.

Please can you give me any indication of dates for 2008 in particular.  A top class venue has been offered  for Burton Week - they can do either of 2 weeks - being the last full week in July and the week bridging July and August.  I fear that the latter week will be Norfolk Week (I do not intend to organise a clash) but am also concerned that the former week may be a clash with school term which I do not want either.  

Please can you let me know by posting here.
thanks

Meds.
thanks

Kevin

Meds,

There is not a straight Yes/No type answer to your question as holidays are set by the local education authority (usually at county level but by the town, e.g. Southend, if it has Unitary Authority status) with individual schools being able to vary the precise dates within a couple of days. In most cases, 2008 dates are unlikely to have been finalised yet.

To complicate matters, some schools/authorities are contemplating switching to the six term year within the next year or two which will completely mess up the planning and it will then not be safe to assume that every school will be on holiday for the whole of August.

Finally, private schools do generally start holidays earlier and finish them later.

Kevin

johnk

South Gloucestershire finish July 25th 2008

John Meadowcroft

Thanks for the contributions and comments which have been noted.  Any further comments gratefully received
kind regards
John

JohnMurrell

Meds,

If it helps Salcombe is going for w/c 10.8.2008, subject to approval from the Harbour................

John

Mike S (Guest)

Wandsworth (S London) finish 20th Jul 2007 and start 4th Sept 2007. No dates for '08, but they never seem to finish earlier than 20th Jul
Mike

THG

This link MAY help??

http://www.lga.gov.uk/Briefing.asp?lsection=59&id=SXAB7B-A7833AE2&ccat=420

Note fromthe site I think all of August would be holiday but the starting weeks in July can change - perhaps we should all lobby our MPs - why can't we have ONE schools national holidays (they can have flexibility for the training days  - plus all holidays should be a minimum of 2 weeks to help spread out when holidays can be taken).  Seems a simple measure to minimise taking holidays in term times.

Yes my wife is a teacher and we got caught out in past with having different half term dates and nearly lost out on our summer holiday plans this year too (someone elses assumption of the first two weeks of the summer).  :o

Kean
THG

Little Bo

Remember that arrangements in Scotland are different, with schools finishing (apologies to those north of the border if I'm slightly out with this) during June and returning mid August, and that the private sector will generally break up earlier and go back later (we are in the last week of a 3 week break and Ellie is SO ready to go back!!)

Other half of Roly Mo

John Meadowcroft

It appears that hell may be freezing over during 2008 as the easter holidays will not be at easter.  wierd.  Best to go sailing in 2007 as far as I can see.

n12 Bottom Banner