National 12 - find out more...

Flippin Eck!!!!

Started by janeysailor12, 26 Feb 2007, 12:11

« previous - next »

janeysailor12

Well....those brave souls who did the Starcoss Steamer (I did see you both) Crusader & a Baggy if I remember...well done!!!  The B14 was a complete death trap...and yes...we DID capsise HUGELY!!!  :X on a gybe which did'nt....gybe that is!!......I tried to fling the boom...as you do...in a 12...but the B loads up sooooooooooo much when she stops I did'nt have a ghost of a chance......anyway we literally blew over........at least we did'nt "go down the mine".  We did'nt finish the race, we were both too knackered to be honest.  (mental note...need to join a gym)......I guess you two 12's did?  And if we'd been in our 12 we would have finished too.  As a finishing note one of the B14's managed to clock up 27 knots!!!....now that's what I CALL fast!  ;D

Janey

Jimbo41

janeysailor12

Jimbo41

Yes, did a real gale on the Ammersee last year, end September. Bft 7 gusting 8 on the cheesewire in a Flying Dutchman. Too much wind to risk the spinnachmaker. Planing upwind, hull right up in the air to about halfway, the works. Suddenly a spill to windward and  genoa got caught under the centreboard upon  righting her after the bath. Then mast started to tip backwards, since the class rules forbid a separate forstay - goenoa gone  :-/. Then rudder just drifted away.... I swam after it and luckily we towed in by our clubmates in the Volkboot we were sparing with. We were the only 2 boats on the water at the time, it was getting dark and had we been alone I do not like to think what might have happened.... Yes, gales are geil .....(horny!!!)

By the way, I read the B14 webpage rightup but you 2 weren't mentioned as not finishing. Surely shome mistake? (ed).

Cheers!

Jim. (P.S. I guess you're not going to make it for BW this year?)  

janeysailor12

That sounds like fun jim.....(NOT!!)  ;D  We probably won't do BW no.  It usually clashes with the week we always do at Rock in cornwall...and as we won the Rock trophy last year we have to go and defend it it'd be churlish not to....and it's MY excuse for getting some surfing done....(now that's a PROPER sport).  We would be taking the B down to Rock this year too.  How nice if we could win the trophy again this year but this time in the B.  Thus proving that B14's and National 12's are as good as each other given the conditions and the helm & crew!!

Janey x

Jimbo41

Shame you're not coming to BW Janey.  :-/

Is Camel Week the same as Rock Week?
If it is, I think Camel's mid August. So you might want to fit  BW in after all. Just  a suggestion... ;)

Cheers!

Jim.

janeysailor12

Yes Rock Week and Camel Week are one and the same.  We are taking the B14 to Rock Week, and doing an AWFUL lot of travelling with the B this year.....we've considered entering the Worlds too at Restronget.  So the 12 will be kept for club racing and we proabaly won't be doing too may 12 opens this year...if any.  The last 12 open we did (70th Anniversary) we sustained some gunnell damage another 12 sailor (who will be namless but I kow who he is) managed to capsise on us and put his shoud through our lovely white wooden gunnell, we have repaired her but the water is starting to seep through other parts of the gunnells as well and Mike is going to strip the varnish and epoxy and re-do her.  So her sailing carrer is limited this year I'm afraid.

Janey

Jimbo41

Sorry to hear about that damage Janey.

Sailing is really like playing chess...

Good luck in Rock Week. Haven't been down Padstow way for a good 24 years. The last time was to visit Trebetherick. No coincidence huh?

Cheers!

Jim

n12 Bottom Banner