National 12 - find out more...

FedWeek

Started by Mike S (Guest), 16 Aug 2009, 11:03

« previous - next »

Mike S (Guest)

Just a quick note about last week's Fed Week in Chichester Harbour. Our first time sailing there and I was seriously impressed both on and off the water.
350+ boats from 49er to Optimist were expertly corralled into 3 racing series with 6 - 8 class starts each. Sailing mainly on that last 2 hrs of the flood there was ample space for 3 courses with little overlap, although the numbers meant a few tricky times picking a route on a speedy down tide run through ranks of beating 200s, Lasers, Solos & Fevas.  
Weather-wise it was a windy and cloudy first day which I missed due to work, followed by 4 sunny and moderately windy days giving leg stretching beats, stonking long, both on the side reaches and the aforementioned scary high speed boat-avoiding runs.
Off the water - the nice weather helped, along with a good campsite and the great facilities of HISC. The private beach was well used by the shore team.
And the racing?? 3 12s in the medium handicap of 35 or so (but never 35 on the start line at once.) We were beaten by teenagers in 420s - good sailors and it was their wind all week for sure (I would have loved to face them in a light wind tacking duel against the tide) - and a Albacore with a fair amount of local knowledge that made the difference in the end.
All in all, another one we'll be back for and I fancy the Glyn Charles now as well.
Mike S
N3491

n12 Bottom Banner