National 12 - find out more...

Luff track bonding to Superspars Carbon Mast

Started by Jimbo41, 11 Aug 2008, 10:22

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Hi everyone!
Anyone know what superspars use to bond the luff track for the main to the carbon mast? Mine is coming adrift at the level of the mast foot. I've used "liquid steel" from Plastic Padding to bond it and so far it appears to be holding. However, over winter I'd like to try to get it properly repaired. It's not a good feeling to be out there with lots of wind and prebend and to hear a slight "ping" ....:-/
Any help gratefully received.
Jim. N3470,3130 and T1293

Ian Stables

Hi Jim

I am not sure what super spars use, but have personally found both 3M EPX DP490 and Gurit Spabond 345 to work well. Both are available in black for unpainted carbon. Marineware in Southampton will supply the Gurit version if you struggle to find any.

Alternatively, if you do not want to get your hands sticky you could talk to Ian Lovering at Ashdown Marine, 07971 922884. Ian does quite a bit of repair work for both Super Spars and Noble Marine and should be able to glue the track back on for you.

Ian N3404
Ian<br />N3520 (Ex N3404)

Jimbo41

Quote from: 506Hi Jim

I am not sure what super spars use, but have personally found both 3M EPX DP490 and Gurit Spabond 345 to work well. Both are available in black for unpainted carbon. Marineware in Southampton will supply the Gurit version if you struggle to find any.

Alternatively, if you do not want to get your hands sticky you could talk to Ian Lovering at Ashdown Marine, 07971 922884. Ian does quite a bit of repair work for both Super Spars and Noble Marine and should be able to glue the track back on for you.

Ian N3404

Thanks for that Ian!
I'll get some  of  that sticky stuff when I come over to GB in November.
Cheers and good luck at Burton week if you've entered. I'm sorry that I can't attend this year.
Jim.

n12 Bottom Banner