National 12 - find out more...

are all N12's created equal?

Started by h00per, 07 Sep 2009, 06:36

« previous - next »

h00per

A little buying advice please.

I am interested in a 12 for some fun sailing. I  hear thats what it's all about. On perusing the for sale page I have come accross two boats that would fit the bill.

Impulse - Super Bouncer - N Yorks
WeirdstoneII - Windfall - Somerset

I have approached both sellers, who have kindly supplied photos, and both seem to be in fair condition.
My situation is Gloucester based. Not affiliated to a club at present. Returning to sailing after several years off for Uni and the like. I would like to sail with my partner who has very little experience, but is willing to learn (and get wet). We really hit the top of the scales where twelves are concerned at near 26 stone. Our local clubs with Twelves are Frampton & Avon SC so thats a lake or a river. However in addition would be regular sailing at Rock on the Camel estuary.
So any insights? Am I nuts?

MikeDay

You're never nuts to consider getting a Twelve but you are right that at 26 stone combined, you're definitely on the heavy side.  My experience is that Twelves really do struggle with more than about 23-24 stone and they also require nimbleness around the boat.  Why don't you get in touch with someone at your nearest club and ask if you can have a trial sail and see how you get on, before taking the plunge.

Mike D
N3496

Martin

Impulse 3132 was sailed quite successfully at our Club some years back.  I am sure helm and crew's weight combined was not 26 stone but I don't think they would mind me saying that they were heavier than usual for a N12.  The boat performed well in a range of wind conditions. 

FuzzyDuck

Matt and I have been sailing with an excess of 25 stone in the boat for a couple of years now. Last year in the Crusader 3413 with some reasonable results and this year in the Man-o-War 3470. Even managed to lead a race ot Leigh and Lowton in very light wiinds, albiet very briefly before normal service resumed.
We only really notice it in marginal planeing conditions, the rest of the time the problem is the nut loose on the tiller.
Have to say though the Man-o-War is significantly faster round the course than the Crusader was.
I would say go for the Super Bouncer. You won't find a nicer boat or class to sail in.
Simon
3470, ex 3413 & 3230
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

Crusader 3244

FUN is what it is all about and after one year of ownership and membership the experience has surpassed my expectations.
Irrespective of being at the extreme of the ideal weight for the class competion is still fun because the class truly embraces inclusivity for abilities, age and vintage of design. Personal performance and and results are not the be-all-and end-all; at least that is my rational while I struggle to perfrom ::)
I joined the class weighing in at 111kg thus really limiting my selection of crew. It would normally be my 13yo son. The twelve has proven a significant additional incentive to address my weight issues. In the very least I'm incentivised to lose weight at no lesser rate than the rate at which my boy gains it !
At 104kg the incentive has delivered results. I have records from when I used to run in my 20s and weighed less than 80kg. There is scope for improvement.
Back in May, Thorpe Bay was my first ever experience of a Nationals and it was a blast. FuzzyDuck was performing well enough.
Our 24 year old Crusader has proven a very cost effective and competitive (within our humble level) entry to the class. Some old stalwarts insist even older boats can out perform modern ones on restricted waters and having been behind their transoms I'm hardly qualified to dispute their claims, am I, Howard?:-/
Back in May and on the final day at TBYC, I made a point of getting up close and personal with the Burton Cup. For 1985 is an entry bearing our sailnumber, boat name and the name of Ian Pinnel. It moved me then and it moves me now, for heritage counts for a lot in the class and it gets in the blood. Soon after in the prize-giving Fuzz and three of his clubmates went forward to receive a trophy given in recognition of the most improvement between race 1 and race 7. It was chance that three club-mates were tied on points. Race 6 and 7 were back to back and it blew. My boy Ben, took a knock on the knee in race 6 and elected not to start race 7. Quite a few elected not to start race 7. I could do the math after. Our result in race 1 had been a disaster but we improved during the event. Had we simply started and completed race 7...:B
hOOper, you are quite sane, join the rest of us nots residing on the end of 'Twelve' tillers and soon. There's no need to invest heavily in your first choice. Once you have a craft you can get around the scene and add to your impressions. There is always something being traded so there is ample opportunity to trade for something different later.

Powerful rigs and short waterlines make for interesting and entertaining sailing when it blows. If crew is significantly heavier than helm it can add to the entertainment.
Chris, 3244

n12 Bottom Banner