National 12 - find out more...

N3205 Sally Anne

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 20 Jun 2008, 09:11

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3205 Sally Anne.  Design: Crusader, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1981

Boat broken up, damaged beyond repair - May 2008. 

edwillett

Sally Anne was a stunningly beautiful Rowsell built Crusader, originally commissioned and owned by Gerry Brown. She was lent to Chris Haworth to sail at Burton Week in 1986; when he placed 4th overall and won the first race, and in 1987 when he placed 2nd overall winning the first and last races.
I bought Sally Anne in early 1989 and and enjoyed sailing her until 1994 when with the advent of impending rule changes and changing personal priorities (ie lots of overseas travel and arrival of small children!) I sold her to David Darling in the Midlands. I attended the 1989 to 1992 Burton Weeks with her and competed in the Scottish Travellers series over these years winning the Lairwell Trophy in 1992 after a memorably close season long battle with Richard Harvey in his Tigress. I have many fond memories of sailing Sally Anne - too many to describe here, but the windy 1992 Burton Week at Exmouth brings back memories of some amazing downwind legs in survival conditions and at Largo Bay SC in the 1992 Open Meeting where we had steep breaking seas and a steady Force 6 i remember overtaking the rescue boat as it was going at full speed to rescue an upturned competitor. I still recall the amazed looks on their faces as we flew past counting air time off the top of the waves. Coming ashore at high tide on the steep shingle beach was entertaining but made safe by the waiting crowd of volunteers all standing waist deep in the sea!
I believe that Sally Anne migrated to Tynemouth SC where I am very sad to learn she has met a premature end after being wrecked on the rocks there. A real shame.

edwillett

Two pics of Sally Anne from my period of ownership. First pic is from Burton Week at Harwich in 1989. Second pic is from Burton Week 1990 on Llandudno promenade where me (centre), my brother Will(left) and Tim Softley (right) are playing about with the Rowsell mainsail that came with sally Anne from new.

edwillett

I have finally found some better pics of Sally Anne thanks to my brother. Here is another from Llandudno 1990.

edwillett

And another of sally Anne here with crew Sarah Fleming getting ready for a race during the 1992 Burton Week at Exmouth

edwillett

Another of Sally Anne at the 1992 Burton Week - leaving the shore for the race ahead!

edwillett

A couple of pics I just found of me sailing Sally Anne at Paignton 1991, with crew Mary Laing.

edwillett

Courtesy of Howard Elcock, the last owner of Sally Anne, are these pictures of Sally Anne after being found wrecked in 2008. As Howard says "Sally Anne was wrecked by vandals who tried to launch her in the wee small hours and failed, leaving her to grind on the beach until she was discovered next morning. She was beyond repair and has been broken up". 

edwillett

second photo from Howard

edwillett

final photo showing the damage to the hull

edwillett

Some recently found photo's of Sally Anne - two from Burton Week Harwich 1989, crewed by brother Will. And two from Burton Week Paignton 1991 crewed by Mary Laing.

edwillett

Receipt for Sally Anne's new sail's 1989 :D

n12 Bottom Banner