National 12 - find out more...

N1346 Lincoln Imp

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 24 Jul 2007, 05:17

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N1346 Lincoln Imp. Design: Mark 6, designed by: Ian Proctor in 1955

alexb

Lincoln Imp has been sat in my father in laws garage since the 1970s, Owned bu his father Bob Wilkinson from new, it has sat unused for many years. Its mostly complete apart from a missing mast which I am now on the search for a replacement. I Used to sail 20 years ago competitively in Enterprise class and now having two children ( 10 and 12) who are keen to sail I am planning a restoration of this boat early this summer - I will update with photos once It is removed from its current place of rest.

alexb

Been checking the boat over today - found 3 sets of sails, 2 canvas and one synthetic, found the rudder but no tiller or extension. Still on the search for a mast and boom but not sure what I should be looking for as it originally had a wooden mast - can I just replace with a later aluminium mast ? New to this so any advice appreciated - heres a pic 

Untitled by alexb1969, on Flickr

Tim Gatti

Hi - it would be worth reading the post about mast dimensions etc on the Discussion page (see http://www.national12.org/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.cgi?m-1367484363/s-new/) and read the Association Class rules regarding positioning of the black bands for the mainsail, gooseneck etc.  You can transfer masts between different designs of N12's but it isn't always as straightforward as you might think.
Wooden masts are very difficult to come by these days but you might turn up one that needs a bit of work.  I think I may have an old wooden boom in the garage which is likely to need some work before it's used in anger. I'll check and get back to you.
Yes - the rules allow you to substitute an aluminium mast for a wooden one.
Where are you based in case this boom turns out to be OK??
Tim

alexb

Hi Tim - hopefully onto an aluminium mast and boom via this site, just waiting to hear if the measurements work compared to the old wooden mast 
This is the base of the old mast - with a tape for reference 

Untitled by alexb1969, on Flickr
its in a pretty sorry state - rotted in half 

IMG_1969 by alexb1969, on Flickr
Moving the hull home when the Kids finish school for the summer so we can start the strip back and re fit :D

n12 Bottom Banner