National 12 - find out more...

Hull Mods N3144

Started by Scooterman, 28 Apr 2009, 06:55

« previous - next »

Scooterman

I   am now the proud owner of 3144 and in the process of getting her back on the water, at some stage the hull has been heavily modified with two large chines, which I'm told were intended to channel water under the hull and promote planning. Does any one have any evidence these work, as they seem to add a lot of wetted area/weight and before I paint the hull it may be better to plane them off!! Other wise she's Tigeress thtough and through.
Will attempt to add some pictures soon to further explain the mods

chalky

Hi there,
I would get the plane out straight away. Rising Damp looks much faster with her smooth bottom and think of all that weight you will save.....

MikeDay

I suspect that these mods date from the time when the original rule requiring bilge keels was relaxed to allow the bilge keel to be extended to the transom.  I did something similar on a Twelve I owned at that time.  The benefit was a bit more directional stability downwind, but you'll get more all round advantage from the weight saving and smooth hull.

Mike D
N3496

Scooterman

Many thanks, thought as much will return hull to its much prettier designed shape.

n12 Bottom Banner