National 12 - find out more...

N2888 Still Trying

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 09 Jul 2007, 08:37

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2888 Still Trying.   Design: Greyhound, designed by: Tim Tomlinson in 1974.
Original boat name: Carbon Copy

Richard

This boat is now sailing at Clevedon S.C. in Somerset. Looks in good condition.

dan

Bought STILL TRYING resently and is currently being striped and repainted

Phil (Guest)

I bought this boat in the 80s as my first boat and sailed at Rudyard Lake SC in Staffordshire. They had a big fleet of Nationals at the time. I named it 'Still Trying' because it matched my sailing ability.
Not long after I started sailing it I took it to my first open meeting, the Burton Week at Whitstable. This was a fabulous week despite being at the back most of the time. Mind you because of that I ended up being interviewed on the water by a TV crew during the penultimate race and it was shown on the early evening news. 
The first race was a steep learning curve as I'd never done a gate start before. Everyone appeared to be bobing around waiting cannons were going off but no one seamed to be taking any notice, so I decided to sail down towards the committee boat to see what was going on. As I was getting closer to it another gun went off and the gate opened just as I sailed past the guard boat on the wrong side of the line. While this was a shock to me it was a bigger one the first two boats that came flying out the gate. Fortunately I pushed the tiller over and went head on to them and they shot past either side of me shouting naughtical terms. Well I think tha's what they were :) 
Intersting to see the boat is at Cleavdon. I spent almost every summer holiday there when I was a kid. The friends we stayed with ran the Evening Post office. I was there when the pier collapsed. Happy days.

dan gilmour (Guest)

still trying is now in as new condition racing at baltic wharf sailing club and looking great!

edwillett

For sale oneBay April 2015. Located in Bristol. eBay pics attached.

edwillett

n12 Bottom Banner