National 12 - find out more...

Main Halyard

Started by dborrett, 16 Nov 2008, 10:38

« previous - next »

dborrett

It's time to replace my main halyard before any more of the strands give way. I was planning to use string rather than wire, any advice on what is best to use (dyneema) and what diameter and also the best way to make it off at the bottom of the mast - clamcleat?

Tim Gatti

4mm dyneema works well for me.  I fit a small RWO 18mm dia brass plain bearing sheave using a deck clip about 5" below slot in mast where halyard exits.  Then two mini clamcleats (CL222's) in-line in between. Run the halyard alongside the cleats when hoisting until you're nearly at the top, then slip the halyard into the cleats and pull up the last few feet.  I fasten the halyard to the head of the sail with bobble and loop method.  Make sure your slot in the mast is long enough to prevent abrasion of the halyard and smooth off the edges well. (At £1.67p a metre you won't want to damage the dyneema!) Tim

JimC (Guest)

I buy the rope a tad long and move the stopper knot at the top around to get a bit more life...

simon moss

On the cost of dyneema I have just bought from e bay 20m of 4mm for £10.20 inc postage, go to sporting goods - sailing and type in rope and you should find what you need.
Simon

Steve (Guest)

Dave,
Until recently I could have let you have a slightly used Dynema main halyard, but Daniel has now chopped it up to use on his Topper outhaul. The mast I have was supplied with the Dynema halyard, but I never got on with it. Eventhough it had the double clamcleats it seemed to slip just when I didn't want it to and that was even after chopping the end off to give the cleats a fresh bit of rope to grip. I changed it for a wire one just like the ones I've always used. Once the loop is on the rack you know it's going to stay there. If the wire loop gets a bit worn after a few seasons, and I bet the one you got is much older than that, just cut the loop off and splice on a new one.
I've got one of those Ormiston splicing tools which I find does the job, so if you want to have a go at fixing it on Sunday it'll probably only take about 15 mins.
Regards,
Steve
N3436

n12 Bottom Banner