National 12 - find out more...

Paint recommendations

Started by barry3364, 09 Oct 2006, 12:05

« previous - next »

barry3364

N3364 goes to hibernate in the garage soon.

Some further varnishing to be done inside for starters.

I'd like to paint the bottom removing the current paint (Looks sprayed)  but would like some recommendations on favourite paints to use.

Yonks ago I did a GP with Int  Paints 2 pack and I wasn't that happy with it. Hard work, lots of paint- very expensive - and not a brill hard finish. Recent experience with IP Goldspar better but I think there are probably better single pot varnishes about.

Brushing not spraying - too tight to pay anyone else to do it!

Barry
N3364

Jimbo41

Hi!
Try rolling it on with a nylon roller - much quicker and you apply much more efficiently. Try to aviod rollers with inbuilt stucco or Christmas etc designs - creates turbulence and slows the boat down significantly....  ;) ;) ;)

Cheers!

Jim N3130 (Wood rocks!)

Alex D

I have a simailar plan for the winter. This looks like a good topic for a maintenance guide.

What material is the hull made from as this influences your options?

Having repainted a number of boats in the past, 90% of the finish comes from good preparation.
I'm still undecided on the way to go this time having used Blakes (single pack) on the last boat.

There is some opinion that 2 pack paints don't give the required flexibility needed on wood.

I'd be really interested in any top tips :)

There are a number of web sites giving tips on sponge roller painting and claiming good results. I'll try and find the URL.

I'm also interested in any views on wood preparation and, having gone down the air compressor route, any views on random orbital sanders vs air files? I know orbital sanders are notalways the best for varnished wood as they can leave swirls.

... and finally does anyone know the original colour of my boat. I know four or five of you have owned it at some time. It is currently raspberry and cream. Thanks.

Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

Antony (Guest)

Alex,
I am pretty sure that when she was new she was Grey although it was a long time ago.  The purple phase was owner three (I think), Simon Nelson.

Antony

Jimbo41

Alex,
I personnally find that single-pot IS better for wood. However, 2 pot is hard and is I have heard also paradoxically, the choice of sprayers. Perhaps they have a better mixing technique to hand. My Tigress (Ex Mike Raine) was sprayed a while back with 2 pot International, and, although  wooden AND round-bilged hasn't done too badly. Perhaps the hardness of the paint has given her a little more mechanical strength... I'm doing a complete restauration of her in Spring so I agree that a little information on these issues would also be very good for me.

Jim N3130 (Wood - slap it on thick)

Barry

When I revarnished the deck earlier this year I did find some good info on varnishing (I think it was from a link on the Epiglass(?) site). I'll try and dig it out. I do recall they said rollers rather than brushes - I still used brushes.

Top tip I  do remember was preserving my (expensive for me) brushes in diesel.

I did go around a few of the wooden boat sites but these seem more geared towards painting supertankers than racing dinghies.

Having tried orbit sanders before I will avoid again if at all possible - it did scratch a bit in places. Hot air - but not too hot - cleaned off the old stuff a treat.

Barry
N3364

martin 1262

BrianWhitmey

Fellow cheapskate .... 42 is having similar treatment soon.

I've had good success with single pack thinnned down 50/50 with white spirit (this was the international single pack cheap stuff). roller it on with a small foam roller to get it started then brush out the bubbles. Having it so thin means it smooths out really well and doesn't grab the bristles out of your brush (makes your eyes water, that does!). Gently rub down with wet 1000 grit between coats. Downside is lots of coats needed and watch out for dribbles!

A friend has a Pa*er which he did recently - got a truly fantastic finish on it with a brush. He hoisted it in the air and lay underneath it to paint - no bits of grit to worry about this way.

Obviously all the comments above about preparation apply

n12 Bottom Banner