National 12 - find out more...

Restoration of Nuttyshell

Started by Jimbo41, 23 Nov 2006, 02:44

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Jimbo41

Boing! - come on you experts - lend a hand to restoring one of Bob Hoare's finest!!!!

Jim N3130 and N3470

I meant it about the beer!!!!

Barry

I had some black marks - and still have some - when I re-varnished the decks (right back to the wood).  I left it a number of weeks to dry out.

I tried a few things to remove them with bleach seeming to the be the best applied very carefully and repeatedly, rinsing and light sanding when dry . I had a control spot to check the difference.

They didn't disappear completely but did lighten - but so did some of the wood around them.

The early coats of varnish did look different over the spots done this way but it equalised later.

No idea about the epoxy or not. I didn't bother with the decks but inside is varnish over epoxy.

Good luck on getting help

Barry
N3364

Jimbo41

Good on you Barry!

Ta

Jim N3130, N3470

marks (Guest)

[quote by=Jimbo41 link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool,m=1164293058,s=0 date=1164293058]

Would epoxy however, increase the mechanical strength of the wood, thereby increasing the boat stiffness where applied?

[/quote]

not sure if epoxie will add to the wood mechanical strenght but it should make it stiffer, my feeling is on a boat of that age epoxies main benifite would be its water proofing ablity.

Jon_P

I am going to varnish and not epoxy this winter.  No need for the epoxy in my opinion just adds weight.  Especially as I am sureyou will look after her.  If you are a lazy bones and will leave it for months at a time at the dinghy park with water swimming in the bottom that is different but aslong as you take care, varnish is simpler, easier, less hassle to put on , sand and get a better finish.  In my opinion:-)

n12 Bottom Banner