National 12 - find out more...

N2510 Emma-Hoo

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 06 Mar 2007, 03:23

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2510 Emma-Hoo. Design: China Doll, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1967
Original boat name: Mrs Malaprop.

Derek

The last 7 plank Rowsell built N12. Pretty as a Merlin of the same vintage with Sapele decks and Sycamore gunwhales.
Originally built for Michael McNamara (whose wife was the daughter of Arther Oxborough of the Salver). Mike didn't have a great success in N12s that year and sold the boat to Tim Philips at Exmouth. My father bought it a few years later and sailed it with me as a rather disapointed crew at Plymouth and Falmouth ('75 and '76) since I had club sailed it all year. We eventually sold it to someone in Topsham at a time when Tim and Jane Bass were sailing N12s there.
I saw it there briefly on one accasion and the underside looked as though it has been sprayed with celulose - the resulting orangepeeling of my years of 400 grade wet and dry and two-potting was saddening. No idea where she went after about 1980.

John Murrell (Guest)

Sorry Derek, I beg to differ!!!
I believe that Emma Hoo was the penultimate China Doll professionally built by Brian Rowsell - N2632 has the honour of being the final Twelve he built. There were also two more hulls that were planked up in Camperdown Terrace and these were 'home' finished - 2700 and 2805.

n12 Bottom Banner