National 12 - find out more...

N3291 White Riot

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 29 Mar 2007, 09:13

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3291 White Riot.  Design: Design 8, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1987
Original boat name: Ready Money
Boat modified to double bottom, winter 2007/2008.

simon ballantine

I bought the boat from Chris Brown in July 2006 and re-named it "White Riot".  It now lives on the beach at Smalls Cove in Salcombe, where we sail most weekends.  I've just completed a bit of a refit, repairing all the dents it acquired over the years and replacing most of the rigging.  It is now looking as good as new.

Construction is epoxy layup with a polyester gelcoat.  The gelcoat is not the standard Ovington colour and, since I could not get a perfect colour match I have applied a coat of 2 pack PU.  The boat will now be 500 grammes heavier, minus the weight of the original gelcoat which I sanded down.

We sail with an aluminium Kappa mast and boom.  I have discarded the enormous buoyant rudder and made a much lighter and lower-drag one, but otherwise the setup remains as before.

Rich Elston

I have just brought the boat from Simon Ballantine. This summer it has returned to it's orniginal club Royal Harwich Yatch Club where it sails a few times a week. Over the coming years it will cycle between Chew Valley Sailing Club and the Royal Harwhich. Currently preparing for Burton Week 2014, which will be an interesting introduction to 12 racing.

The Ballantines added a carbon mast before selling it which is obviously a bonus. The boat is in excellent condition, and other than a few personalisations no work has been required.

Rich Elston

White Riot during her 1st sail back in Suffolk

n12 Bottom Banner