National 12 - find out more...

Single handed - more out sailing?

Started by THG, 05 Jun 2008, 01:01

« previous - next »

THG

Is there a PY adjustment factor recommended for single handed sailing?  Assume that a Club is using the NTOA recommended age PYs - is there any numbers to use for s/h only?  Only ask 'cos the Weds race I did last week I got away with the main h'cap - but first time out was 'intersting' :-/ to sail on own.
Should we allow s/h at Open events then?  If the Gill events allowed s/h would we see any increase in attendance?  Should we promote the s/h with their own prizes at BW / Gill events?  Other 'similar' fleets allow s/h Fireflies / Mirrors as examples do this.

THG

Jimbo41

You might want to put as many potatos/slate/bricks or whatever in a sack that make up to 18 Stone and place that around the centreboard case - that way you'd make you're own handicap, or just eat more to get up to weight. ;D
Get's a bit lonely out there on the Ammersee in a blow though and the rescue boats aren't always that quick if you can't get her up quickly enough (with or without potatos) :-/
Jim. (Not needing any more potatos).
P.S. Where are the Pie Boys?

sam293

the reason that the fireflys can race single handed as they were the pre decessor to the finn  as the olympic single handed class (circa 1950). and the mirror has 2 mast settings and from the outset was deigned to be sailed by one or two people.
the rya does reccomend reducing the handicap when a two handed boat is sailed singlehanded. 1093 becomes 1053 i think.

Alistair Edwards

At Twickenham we frequently have people sailing single handed. We reduce the handicap by 20 points for single handers and this seems to produce a fair contest against double handed 12s on the river.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

Lukepiewalker

As a ahem 'hefty' chap I used to frequently singlehand when I hand a Twelve. I'm not sure singlehanding should be encouraged at major events for the simple reason that the aesthetics of a twelve aren't really conducive to it...

tom lee

At burghfield, our PY reduces by 40 points for saling single handed.
I agree with lukiepiewalker I'm not sure it should be encouraged at N12 events.
Tom<br />N3545

Jimbo41

Where I race, the Ammersee Yardstickzahl of 112 stays the same solo or twin-handed. Only fair really, since the Korsar which is a much faster yot (similar to FD) has a AYZ of 107.
If it means more 12 get out on the water when Solo is allowed then why not?
Cheers! Jim.

n12 Bottom Banner