National 12 - find out more...

Weight carriers Truths and Myths?

Started by Jimbo41, 18 Oct 2006, 08:56

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Hi Folks!

Can anyone tell me in terms of construction what makes a Final Chapter / Man'O War design a good weight carrier (if at all)? Are they better at this than other 12's?

Jim N3130 (Wood - definitely a connoisseur's choice)

Mikey C

Nothing to do with the build. The bouyancy is distributed more fore and after (less rocker) This makes it hold the weight better, but stops it going around corners so well.
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

davidg (Guest)

I think it has a lot to do with the quite v'ed back end, which means that heavier crews don't increase the wetted area that much compared with lighter weights.  Designs like Baggies and notably Street Legals (when did we last discuss them on this forum) don't carry weight well because you pay a high wetted area penalty if you sink the boat below the design waterline.

Another thing with V'ed boats such as Chapters is that they seem to find a sort of wetted area equilibrium when planing and just get faster, where as flatter shapes are stuck with the wetted area of the flat sections, this makes them plane earlier, but not as fast as the Chapter when it really starts blowing!

The theory that is mine.

Anne Elk

n12 Bottom Banner