National 12 - find out more...

Transom - how thick does it need to be?

Started by intheboatshed, 01 Mar 2011, 05:44

« previous - next »

intheboatshed

A question for the boat builders/renovators.

I've just replaced the transom on Token Gesture - or most of it anyway - with 2 pieces of 5mm ply stuck together. As per the original thickness.

On the original transom there was another piece of 5mm glued in the middle of the transom, from top to bottom, where the rudder fittings were/are. I suspect the builder was hoping this would provide enough fore and aft stiffness, but clearly this wasn't the case because someone fitted a knee at a later stage.

Question - is 10 mm thick enough to fit the rudder fittings too, assuming I reinstall the knee as well. Or do I need to make it 15 mm thick?

Picture below gives a general view of the transom before I cut out the rotten part - I have already removed the knee, and most of the wood round the rudder fittings has rotted away - I made the round hole with my finger!

darebarry

Your 10mm. should be plenty, however the fixing of the knee to the transom and the hog I feel is even more importent. On my wooden boats the knee is always rebated into the transom with a good epoxy filet on all the joints. Where the bolts pass through the transom for the pintals it is worth drilling oversize, filling with epoxy and then redrilling.
Best of luck Dare. N3521  

intheboatshed

Thanks for confirming my hunch, and the additional advice is much appreciated.

Although I've still got a lot to do, I'm hoping to get her to the 75th celebrations.

Tim

Roly Mo

Looks to me like you have a bad case of blue worm. I can see one trying to escape down a hole it's just nibbled, and looking at all the other holes they've had quite a feast!!. The only cure is to wash the boat out with dirty brown beer.  ICM may have a better cure
RM

icecreamman

No Roly, I cannot come up with a better reply other than perhaps the worms have been feasting on both the wood of the boat and sweeties dropped in the bottom by small people, but by far the best way to cure it is indeed to wash the whole boat down in dirty brown beer; or if you are posh a quick splash of Champagne on the outside prior to relaunch is a good way of keeping the blighters at bay ICM

intheboatshed

LOL - I managed to capture the blue worms and then released into the wild, a safe distance away.

Hope their homing instincts aren't strong.

johnk

I would have thought that there were better uses for beer and champagne!

angus

My thoughts exactly, let the worms have the boat and drink the beer.
Some of you may remember I had a slight worm problem with 3208 a few years back, sold the boat and drank the profits... that work OK.;D
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Lukepiewalker

Don't forget a lighter transom is easier to carry in the boatpark while looking embarrased...

n12 Bottom Banner