National 12 - find out more...

Lighter centre plate needed for N341

Started by Tim Gatti, 27 Jun 2006, 12:13

« previous - next »

Tim Gatti

Just started restoring N341 - a 1938 Uffa King with all the original gear and sails intact.
Need to replace the 44lb steel centreplate with something lighter!
Does anybody know where I might get hold of a second hand Permali or aluminium plate?
A lifting rudder with the old style 3/8" (9.5mm) fittings would also be useful - especially as I'll be mostly sailing at Yeadon.
Thanks  
Tim

John Meadowcroft

dont know much about what you are looking for, but would a firefly plate fit or be made to fit?  if so www.fireflysailing.co.uk and see if you can get a secondhand one there.  I assume a Lark plate would be too big.

Tim Gatti

Tim Gatti

Quick update - met up with Brian Herring on Saturday and he sold me an 'pre-owned' aluminium plate he had recovered from an old 12 that was broken up some time ago.

Have reshaped it to fit and it's scrubbed up pretty well - so just looking round locally to find a place to get it powder-coated to stop any likely corrosion - esp from seawater.

So a substantial saving in weight of approx 30lbs and a large saving in cash, which means I've a bit more to spend on other aspects of the restoration - like a suit sails that don't mind getting wet! I'll keep the original 68 yr old cotton ones for best ie when it's sunny, there's no chance of a capsize and when I don't mind them being well undersize.

So if anyone has an old suit that might do the job please let me know.  

Still on the hunt for some period brass/bronze rudder fittings too, so I can make a lifting rudder.  Brian had a perfect set - but wouldn't part with them as they were fixed to the Yorkshire Ouse Transom Trophy he had proudly on display on the wall of his workshop.

Roly Mo

Hi Tim

Is nothing sacred?  Thank heavens Brian is keeping good care of the Transom Trophy!  The fittings were sourced relatively recently (ie in the last few years), by YOSC Fleet Captain Vince Phillips.  I'll try and get details but in case I don't get chance it would be worth giving him a ring.

Glad to hear you've got a suitable board,

Bernard

Tim Gatti

n12 Bottom Banner