National 12 - find out more...

N3249 Brand Loyalty

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 25 Jun 2007, 09:18

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3249 Brand Loyalty.   Design: Brand Loyalty, designed by: Robert Peebles in 1986
Previous boat names: Fat Tulip, Viscid Whirl (spelling corrected from Visciol Whirl, June 2007).

IanL

Found a new home with us - now overwintered, desanded, and re-threaded and enjoying a fairly gentle life on a puddle near Bewdley.

Due to my awful handwriting the name is not quite right - Viscid Whirl was intended - what else could you do after our last one was name Dissipation (N3077) Stil in the family after a decade.

Some pictures in the IanL's member album.

hall_g

I've just purchased N12 3249 via ebay and will be picking her up in a day or two; she will be heading to BLYM in Rickmansworth after a bit of TLC in my garage.
Very interested to hear from previous owners / anyone who knows anything about this boat.

hall_g

N3249 "Fat Tulip" is now safely home at BLYM in Rickmansworth, washed down and cleaned up a bit. Looks to be in very good order indeed. I think two of the Brand Loyalty design N12s were built which suggests it wasn't successful  - does anyone know anything about this boat, or the Brand Loyalty design?

Simon Hipkin (Guest)

I owned this boat for a brief period about 5 years ago. The performance is what you would expect from a Peebles boat of this era - spectacularly fast in a breeze and pretty awful in light airs. One problem I found with the design is that the very flat sheer combined with low freeboard means that the boat fills up very easily if allowed to heel. The construction is interesting in that it is a 4-planker but the 2nd plank up has been covered externally with a cedar capping which is rounded and faired into the planks above and below, effectively making the hull round bilged. The side decks/gunwales are also unusual in that they are a single solid lamination. When I sold the boat, it was in almost concourse condition, but sadly got left in the dinghy park and negelcted by the subsequent owner. Glad to hear she has had some TLC since then. Take her out in a good blow with a light crew and you will be amazed by the perfomance.

hall_g

Thanks so much for that information Simon. I sailed 3249 for the first time today with my wife for a couple of hours. I see what you mean about taking on water easily when heeled. Great fun though, and quite quick really. We are looking forward to having a go in a lot more breeze.

n12 Bottom Banner