National 12 - find out more...

Hip replacement

Started by Mike Liggett (Guest), 20 Mar 2007, 12:43

« previous - next »

Mike Liggett (Guest)

Am just about to have one hip replaced.  I don't want to join the model boat sailors yet.  Do any of you senior sailors have experience of dinghy sailing following hip replacement or know of others who have?  I sail nat 12 and merlin.  Any positive vibes would be appreciated.

andy mck (Guest)

Hip replacement and sailing

Have a couple of patients who have got back to dinghy sailing after knee replacements, but not hips so far. My concerns would be that hip replacements tend to be at their most unstable point in deep flexion, a position not uncommon in dinghy sailing. This is very dependent on the type of prostheses used, as some of the newer ones, with bigger heads are more stable at extremes. Big boat sailing is very much less of a concern. Hiking hard, putting a stretch on the muscle repair, would need to be avoided for at least 3 months, and perhaps longer. Having said all that, once it has healed, sailing a boat with sensible erganomics, in sensible conditions should not be too much of a risk, but i doubt your surgeon would be totally in favour, although we have had patients return to extreme sports on some of the newer ones without a problem.

If you know the type of hip being used, may be able to give you some more specific advice.

Andy Mckee
solution 416
18 footer
hopefully back in 12's this year

n12 Bottom Banner