National 12 - find out more...

does any one know about 3402

Started by James Taylor, 23 Jun 2006, 02:15

« previous - next »

James Taylor

Hi all does anyone know much about 3402 I have been in contact with steve and woundered if anyone knows much about the boat and how she gets on. As cannot find any results for her any were.

James

Antony (Guest)

James,
Contact me by email if youu want more info or opinion.

It has been some years since Steve sailed her at an Open meeting so you will struggle to find any recent results.  

3402 is a sister ship of the whole family of single-bottom Chapters that Nigel Waller built in the early/mid '90s and 3395 in particular was very succesful in her day (with Tom Stewart) and I had 3384.  Steve did a nice job of taking out some weight and adding a double-floor but then did not sail the boat much after the work was done.  As a result of the work she is something of a unique boat, tough to analyse or to value.

Antony

MikeDay

I had 3403 from new and sailed it for many years.  Like all of Nigel's boats, these were built very strongly and have stood the test of time.  These Chapters are good on open water in most wind conditions; they struggle a bit against other designs when quick tacking in restricted waters when it's light.

Mike D
N3496

John Meadowcroft

agree with Mike's comments.  I had another sister ship N3393, and Antony had N3384 which was another Waller chapter.  All Nigels boats have excellent build quality and the double floor conversion that Steve did was well thought out and well executed.  Boat rolled over on the hard at Harwich and damaged the wooden decks to they have been replaced by carbon ones same as the double floor Waller chapters.  I think this would be an excellent boat for you on the sea and would recommend the purchase!  No recent results to go on, but this should not worry you unduly - the boat has not been used.  I doubt whether Tom Stewart or Graham Camm could win the Burton Cup in this boat today, so it is probably just a little of the pace - it is 10 years old!             and this is reflected in the asking price compared to a Foolish or the newer Waller Chapters.  I think that there is definitely a substantial potential speed differential between your current boat and this one though.

Finally there are 3 'generations' of Waller Chapters

those between 3382 and 3403 were built before double bottoms.  built approx 1993 to 1996

3423 to 3471 were double floor.  built approx 1997 to 2001

3473 and 3477 are double floor and maximum width.  built 2002

Either of the double floor versions are definitely potential Burton Cup winners today.

Finally I found the results of the 1998 burton week.  77 boats and 3402 finished 30th one behind 3404 and one ahead of 3403.....  hope this helps.

john

n12 Bottom Banner