National 12 - find out more...

Proctor Limited Swing Spreaders

Started by James Taylor, 24 Jul 2006, 09:33

« previous - next »

James Taylor

Jimbo41

James,

You should try waiting for the thermals on the Ammersee at this time of year....

Sometimes they can blow quite strongly (3-5 Bft) but you've got to catch them when they're there....

See you at the Burton, but we're only spectators this year - unless someone needs a crew member for a day???? 8) 8) 8) 8)

Cheers,

Jim N3130

Antony (Guest)

James,
You have just bought a lovely boat with one very badly designed fitting on the mast, and you have now found that fitting.  I am going to guess at the problem that you have, as your question is not very clear.

The fitting is designed to let the spreader swing forward a small amount when you let off the leward shroud downwind.  When you are on the shore with the tension set for upwind then the shrouds should pull the spreaders back to the limit, and it is in this position (and with no ram or lowers on) that you want to be measuring the bend in the mast.  The big problem is that if, as you suggest, there is not much bend in the mast at this point, then you have a problem.  I would be very surprised if the fitting has not corroded and become unadjustable, as this was the fatal design flaw in the fitting.  This means that you cannot unattach one end (from the mast) and wind the fitting shorter to let the mast bend more.  I can suggest a few options, but as you can tell I am slightly guessing at the problem.

1.  Hope that somebody has some spare and unused (ie not yet corroded) fittings in their tool kit that they do not need and reads this note.  When we all had these masts a lot of us had spares as we all knew that they would corrode.  I do not think I have any as I gave away my old tool kit in 1999 and so have no spares older than 2001.
2.  Call Tom Stewart on 01604 592808 at P&B and see what he suggests as the 12 expert in the trade.
3.  try making the spreaders longer as the other way to get the mast to bend, this might not work and does have other effects but might help.
4.  Bring it all to Porthpean and there will be plenty of us there to take a look and see what we can do.

Antony

James Taylor

Hi Antony

Spot on with the problem but they are not corroded it all still moves but just can't seem to get it in the right place she is definatly coming to Porthpean.

James & Emma
3304 & 3402

I do have some Pictures of the spreader fitting if this helps

n12 Bottom Banner