National 12 - find out more...

Time to stop procrastinating

Started by glove81, 04 May 2014, 02:24

« previous - next »

glove81

Hi guys, after having bought 3106 from a guy in our club she has lain belly up on some tyres, rubbish cover and no trolley, as I mess about as crew on an Albacore. I had every intemtion of taking 3106 home over the winter and taking care of the tlc so she was good for this season, but college and part time job have left me with Sundays free, which are of course sailing days. 
So as the college holidays approach I am planing the refurb. As far as I can tell it is 'merely' re rigging, new buoyancy bags & dangly pole. She seems fine if a wee bit scruffy. 
A few questions. 
To repaint would you completely remove old or just key old surface?
How much does a N12 worth of lines cost? 
Ta

johnk

As far as painting goes, I would just sand down thoroughly and repaint. Only if the underlying paint is unsound would you need to strip down to bare wood. Remember do not put 2-pack paint on top of 1-pack.

glove81

How can you tell 2 pack from 1 pack. Does that sanding theory apply for a colour change?

angus

Sanding is fine for most clour changes, but f you are changing to a litter colour it might well be worth putting an appropriate undercoat on. I also found putting a coat of 50 50 undercoat top coat saved on top coat and got a better finish.
Cann't help with the cost of re rigging I keep an eye out for cheap rope on ebay, but if you are after new shrouds and stuff you may be best speaking to Tom Stewart at P&B he is always very helpful.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

smilie

I always favour sanding as keeps the weight off (means to don’t keep adding layers of paint) plus it gives the boat a bit of a fair. It also makes it really easy to spot knock which might need a bit filling and any area which might need a bit of a repair.

It’s also worth remembering shiny paint jobs are all in the preparation and wet and drying between coats and getting nice thin coats of paint on ;o)

Here’s Subversion  half way through under coat number 1
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

glove81

Thanks for this guys. 
The paint will wait till winter, I'm not that fussed and it isn't in bad knick. 
What's really needed are transom flaps, rigging (although I think getting time to figure out the old layout and whats supoosed to be attached where may do), buoyancy bags and a trolley are first priority.

smilie

Yeah good call much better to get on the water and get sailing than waste good sailing days boat polishing ;)

After weekend painting Subversion with International Toplac  I can highly recommend mixing your undercoat 50:50 with the top coat and if you are thinking of going red then use a white undercoat. Better still look at other paints either 2 pack car paints or I think you are ok to brush paint with cellulose car paint as well. Both options would probably work out cheaper as well.
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

glove81

Thats her back at the friends homestead (they've a nice powered outbuildong I'm getting to use). 
Some refurb of the deck and lines is in order with plans to be back on the water in time for the Andrew Simpson memorial

n12 Bottom Banner