National 12 - find out more...

Handicap

Started by Simon, 27 Apr 2008, 07:57

« previous - next »

Simon

I have a Crusader 88 which has an old set of sails (not the new rules) what PY will I sail her with?

Cheers

Simon (3309)

PS I spent the winter working on her and she does look good!

John Meadowcroft

Simon
Your boat does indeed look great.  I remember the boat from the early 90s when I was getting into the Class.  A chap called Simon Nelson owned her and raced with a good degree of success.  He then swapped the boat for an older boat (3246, Grimley Fiendish) (a somewhat curious decision) and probabl went a bit slower before he left the class for a while.
Re handicaps, 1093 is based on the most recent returns which includes the most recent boats which are no doubt quicker.  Returns are an average of all boats sailing so it is arguable that the newest boats should go quicker than 1093.  Speak to your club, the NTOA provides guidance on what the numbers were through history and you may be able to get a benefit.  If you cannot you should not worry as the benefit that you would be getting is very marginal anyway.  The NTOA recommended number for 3304 is 1104.
If you are a member of the NTOA check out page 9 of the annual booklet.  If you are not, please consider joining.  The NTOA provide this website, sort the fixtures, organise publicity for the class and support the value of your boat.  It would be great to see you at a meeting.  Our summer event at Hykeham SC, Lincoln on 31 June / 1 May would be a great opportunity for you to meet up with a wide range of 12 sailors
Cheers
John Meadowcroft
Chairman, NTOA

David_Wilkins

Simon

What a job you've done - she looks stunning!

See the thread "National 12 Handicap" on this bord for yor answer. Remeber this only applies for club sailing if your club is prepared to go alomg with it. The published National 12 PY is 1093.

Enjoy that beautiful boat.

Cheers
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

David_Wilkins

Simon - two anwers in as many minutes, can't be bad! When I posted my reply I saw John had done so first!
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

Simon

Hi
Thanks for the replies. My membership application is in the post!
We had our first sail in her yesterday and both myself and my daughter feel the hoop gets in the way. So 3309 will be going back to a transom main sheet system.
Thanks again
Simon

tedcordall

Before going to aft sheeting, consider skiff sheeting off the boom. Having always sailed with a centre main I struggled with aft sheeting when I bought my 12. Tacking was ok but gybing was a nightmare. Over the winter I went to 'off the boom' and I'm much happier.

Simon

Hi Ted
I'm not sure what you mean by 'skiff sheeting' but I'm guessing you mean like a laser setup? Do you have any photos of yours as I would be interested. "simonatcunliffedotnet"
Cheers
Simon

sam293

not quite like a laser set up, similar but the main sheet will come from the boom (through a ratchet block) rather than down to the hull, attached is a picture of a 12ft skiff, have got some better pics of our cherub with the same sheeting arrangement, so will look those out too
hope this helps
sam

tedcordall

Haven't any pictures I'm afraid but it is fairly simple. The split end main sheet comes up from the transom to the aft end of the boom, round a block and then forward under the boom to about half way. It then goes round a fairly chunky ratchet block attached to the boom at this point and then straight out to hand. It doesn't go down to the hull at all, and so leaves a bit more space than the hoop or a laser like system.
In theory it has less purchase than aft sheeting. Standard aft sheeting is 2:1 (up to the boom, back down the transom and then to hand) Coming off half way along the boom should give 3:2 (1.5:1) ie a stiffer pull.
However the conventional system is mainly pulling down when close hauled rather than in. Because the sheet comes off the boom horizontally with skiff sheeting you are always pulling the boom in rather than down, which increases the effective purchase.
The other good thing that I've found is that running into unexpected wind holes when fully hiked isn't as traumatic as you can haul your bum out of the water on the mainsheet!

sam293

sorry couldnt make the picture attach, the other option to gain more purchase is to take the main from a becket block on the aft of the boom, through a block attached to the transom or on a bridle back up through the block at the back of the boom them to the ratchet on the boom.

Simon

Thanks Ted and Sam
I've not seen that arrangement before but it sounds good.
Sam is there any chance you could email the pic?
Ta
Simon

tedcordall

I'll take a picture next time I'm down at my boat.

You can get more purchase as Sam describes but you lose the advantage of the split ended mainsheet, which is to be able to centreline the boom at all rakes without having to adjust a bridle.

Alex D

Couldn't resit the bait...

Quote from: 78He then swapped the boat for an older boat (3246, Grimley Fiendish) (a somewhat curious decision) and probably went a bit slower before he left the class for a while.

From another thread
Quote from: Simon Nelson (Guest)There was nothing that could touch
Grimley downhill in a breeze and in the right conditions, upwind as
well....

She was probably my fav. 12 of all the ones I owned and I think she has one of the best names of all 12's.

Grimley still shows remarkable turn of speed. :)

Simon. Looks like a  lot of hard work and excellent job on 3309.
Good luck with the new layout.
Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

n12 Bottom Banner