National 12 - find out more...

Sailing Club Wanted (Northwest)

Started by hutch, 16 Aug 2008, 07:37

« previous - next »

hutch

Hey, as a week racing in Salcombe was bound to prove - I'm not going to get very far only sailing 2 weeks a year. So I really need to find a good club to race and practice at ;D
I've only ever sailed casually  for 2 weeks a year before this summer and have never sailed in-land or in a club but I am looking to get a lot more experience before university (next year) and would be more than happy to devote my sunday's to sailing ;D
As far as I can tell all  I  want  from a club is good wind and a decent number of national sailors to compete with, also only being 17 I am interested in any social 'youth' aspects if this is an option.
I live half way between Chester and Crewe and my crew lives in Bolton  so I was wondering if anyone knew the best sailing clubs for National 12s in the Cheshire/Bolton area?

Cheers, Sarah

Roly Mo

There's a 12 sailing at Leigh and Lowton but not sure of any others in your area.  L&L is a great club.
RM

Phil Brown

Recommend Leigh & Lowton. Great club, good facilities, sailed there for years

Prevailing wind is down the lake so decent beats and pretty open surroundings so wind is fair.

As for a decent number of 12's, go convert a few! 

Give it a try. Good luck

Phil
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

scotyot (Guest)

I sold a Tigress to a chap at Bolton Sailing Club and he said there was an 'upsurge' in interest in 12's at the Club. Might be worth a look, though I see he currently has the boat up for sale on the 'board'!

broz

2nd that, Bolton is a good club,gets good wind to.8)

gareth (Guest)

Hi Sarah,
I sail a 12 at Leigh and Lowton, thanks to those of you who have already recommended the place whilst I was away at Burton Week. (and don't listen to those who recommended Bolton!)
It's be good to have some support converting the world to 12 sailing at Leigh.  Come up and have a look round at some point or drop me a mail on gareth_williams(AT)talk21(DOT)com if you want some more info.

Cheers
Gareth
N3162 Bicycle Clips

hutch

Hey! Thats brillient. On (most) peoples excellent advice I'm planning to come to Leigh&Lowton this Sunday (31st August) and shall see what I find ;D but im encouraged, partly by how friendly my uncle said everyone was (he lives in bolton and nipped in for a look) and also because I've heard that another nearly by lake that i was considering - Winsford Flash - is suprisingly shallow.  

Thanks,

Sarah

Crusader 3244

Sarah, Redesmere SC (Between Wilmslow and Congleton) is a very friendly club which I joined about 1 month ago (after resting from sailing for 25 about years!). Like many clubs it has club boats available free to members and is fully geared up for instruction and race training.
I'll guess your about 20-25 mins from Redesmere while the trip from Bolton may be about 50 mins. Converse for L&LSC.

Historically I gather twelves were very strong at RSC but now like most clubs diverse classes sail in PY handicap races. That said, I gather there are about a half dozen or so twelves associated with the club and from this coming Sunday I hope to become the owner of another.
Redesmere is an attractive setting but not a large water. The wind at RSC ranges from challenging to frustrating to say the least, be it light, moderate or breezy. But then gaining mastery over the wind there would hone your skills to expoit other inland settings be they river, gravel pit or reservoir.
The training credentials of Redesmere must be pretty good because it is home to Elliot Hansen who has had a good year in the Toppers; Nationals, Inlands, and Europeans :- first in all! ..... I hope some of his magic may rub off on me!
Budworth SC is well run club and not a bad water; their juniors won the 12 hour at WLYC, however they appear to be a bit regimented and will only permit boats within their accerdited fleets. You must sail twenty races to keep your place. There would appear to be numerous members around your age especially within GP14 and RS200 fleets.

L&LSC used to be home to Manchester Uni SC and Elton SC was home to Bradford Uni SC - each may still be true. Universities often participate in team racing ( Ents, Larks, Fireflys were often the choice of boat) and team racing is a great way to sharpen sailing skills.
Saturday 30th August is a NW Junior Travellors open at Redesmere and around 45 entries are expected so not a bad day to look in if you are able.

Are there any twelves at Chester SC, on the River Dee?

Each of the clubs have good websites.
Chris, 3244

n12 Bottom Banner