National 12 - find out more...

Recycling broken carbon mast as a boom?

Started by MikeDay, 14 Jul 2009, 03:59

« previous - next »

MikeDay

Following Thorpe Bay Tuesday, my old Chipstow carbon mast is in three pieces (and I have a nice new Selden, thanks to Steve Norbury).  The old bottom section is just long enough for a boom.  Before I start to fit it out as a spare, has anyone tried this?  Will it be stiff enough to deal with the kicker load?

Mike D
N3496

Tim Gatti

Hi Mike
Howard Chadwick has had some success with recycling broken carbon masts as booms - I'm sure he'll respond when he sees your post but it might be worth you dropping him a note.
Tim

mutt

I've got a carbon mast section fitted up as a boom on my cherub - it doesn't share the featherweight characteristics of a proper boom but otherwise serves ok. I wouldn't like to have it whacking me round the head during ill judged gybes though.
Matt 
N3486

mutt

oh and to answer your question - yes it is stiff enough to take the loads unlike the previous aluminium boom I had.

MikeDay

Matt

Thanks - point noted about the weight, but still useful to have as a spare.

Mike D
N3496

Chadders

Hi Mike  Tim G is correct I have recently made a carbon boom from the bottom half of Radical Edwards old mast which was a Chipstow I think and so far it seems to be quite strong enough but it hasnt been out in any really serious wind as yet.  I will feed back again if I have any problems.  My D8 carbon boom is a much larger section and looks stronger though so I am just a little concerned but time will tell.  Cheers
Howard C

n12 Bottom Banner