National 12 - find out more...

Complete beginners..Help!

Started by tony47492, 02 Jul 2009, 09:28

« previous - next »

tony47492

Hi all, recently bought a 12 via ebay and looking to learn how to use her. Sail number 1612 (yep, a nice wooden boat!), not sure if that is the genuine origional number though.......
After much Anglo Saxon, I have finally rigged the boat in my garden (dry run first so as not to make too much of a fool of myself!). But, Im struggling to understand how to use the kit, and, even after looking at many photos, I cant for the life of me work out how to rig the boom pulleys (sorry if terminology incorrect) ie pulley on the transom to the pulley on the end of the spar/boom, and, mucho Anglo Saxon as I cant for the life of me get the keel (daggerboard??) to drop down.........and scarily, its attatched to more pulleys and rope!! Beam me up Scotty....NOW!!:)
Please feel free to snigger uncontrolably ;D;D.........
I live in the South Lakes and notice there is a 12 meeting at Ullswater this weekend. Could anyone give me details please. Thanks in advance, Tony 

johnk

I am sure others will give more help but here is my 2p worth.

The hull number should be carved into the centre thwart or the transom. The N12 database shows 1612 to be a Proctor Mk 4A built in 1958.

The main sheet controls the mainsail and leads from your hand through a block on the transom up through a block at the end of the boom and down again to the block on the transom where it is fixed. This gives a 2 to 1 purchase.

A 1958 boat would have a centreboard case that is about 1/2 inch (12.7mm) wide and have a metal centreboard. Originally this would have been galvanised steel but was probably replaced by Aluminium in the 1960s. The centreboard would have either a slot in it or a hole. The centreboard case will have a bolt through it and the slot / hole in the centreboard pivots on this. Being metal the centreboard will need to be pulled up with a rope tackle. Originally the rope for this would have gone from one side of the boat near a shroud through a pulley near the bottom of the mast, up round a pulley attached to the top of the centreboard, back to another pulley near the bottom of the mast and up to the other side of the boat near the shroud. The bolt attaching the pulley to the top of the centreboard had a doorstop on each side to stop the centreboard pivoting too far forwards. Each end of the control rope could be cleated and needed a stopper knot! Boards with a slot cut in rather than a hole could easily be fitted with the boat afloat. When inverted after a capsize the centreboard could drop out of it's case and was only held by the control rope! (I can remember being glad that my stopper knots held when we capsized in Plymouth Sound, inverted and the centreboard fell out! We righted the boat, put the centreboard back in, bailed out and finished the race.)

In my experience N12 sailors are very friendly and helpful. Do try and contact any others at nearby clubs. Also, join the N12 Owners Association.

icecreamman

Tony, I would be careful going to Ullswater for the Birkett Trophy as a first time outing in your new toy as this is a humumgous event with all sizes of boats on the starting line that stretches across the whole of the lake. You will be mixing it with cruisers as well as all the other smaller dinghies and your Anglo Saxon could well be put to the test more than once. The sail down the length of the lake is great however, and then you do it all again on the Sunday. If you can make it, go to Kippford on the north side of the Solway Firth where there is another 12s meeting, this time on the sea where things will not be as fraught. Wherever you go, enjoy your new toy and speak to as many other 12 sailors to help you with all the bits of string/knitting/blocks/things that get in the way whose name you don't know.

Chadders

Hi Tony I agree with icecreamman give the Birket a miss unless you are very experienced as 200 boat starts are very scary especially as some of them are cruisers!!  I am the vintage representative for the association and that covers your boat and I am also Northern based and possibly even more handy will be in the Windermere area from Monday 13th to Friday 17th July and I would be happy to meet up and answer any queries you may have and even have a quick sail with you if it helps.  We are not up on the Sunday as we are sailing in the 12 open meeting at Yorkshire Dales if you fancy coming over for that to get some help, watch or sail.  We are not around the following Saturday due to a N12 committee meeting but on Sunday 19th we will be sailing ribbed 12s at Yeadon so plenty of boats to look at and brains to pick at either of those events.  Give me a call on 01423 865793 or email on hchadwick2@talktalk.net and I will be happy to help.
Howard Chadwick Vintage Wing Representative N2, N2266, N2769 and N3356 aka Chadders.

n12 Bottom Banner