National 12 - find out more...

Buying Advise

Started by popeye_ali, 01 Jul 2007, 05:44

« previous - next »

popeye_ali

Hi all Iam likely to be a new 12 sailer when i can get hold of a decent secondhand double bottomed boat.
Has anyone got one for sale or know of someone who does?

Many thanks Alistair Hodge

MikeDay

Fraid you're in the market with quite a few other people at the moment, so if you want to get a db boat, you'll have to act pretty swiftly when one comes up for sale.  As you're new to Twelves, check out the design guide on this website and of course look at the secondhand boat list where everything gets advertised.  Have you actually sailed a 12 yet?  If not, make contact with the nearest club that sails them and organise a test sail.  And again, if you're new to 12s, have you thought about a season or two first in a single bottom (AC) boat from about a Tigress vintage onwards.  You'll still have lots of fun and you'll learn something about what makes them go.  What are you sailing at the moment, and where?

Mike D
N3496

popeye_ali

Thanks for your reply yes I have sailed them. No not interested in the AC boats ,I am a very experianced sailer and am planning doing the circuit so after a high spec boat.

popeye_ali

sorry didn't reply to all your questions I am at Bexhill sailing club in East Sussex, Sea sailing.
I sail a RS700 at the moment.

MikeDay

Ok - as far as I know, Kevin Iles' 3491is still for sale - a very well sorted Big Issue 2 (see the 2nd hand list).  Not too many 12s around where you are at the moment.  You could come along to the Spinnaker SC open meeting in the New Forest in on Sat 14th July and have a sail in mine over the lunch break if you want ...

Mike D
N3496

popeye_ali

Thats nice of you mike, I will have a think on that. I am planning on buying the 12 to sail with my girlfriend who does not have much sailing experiance. yes I have seen that one advertised, The electric Prune, you know much about that boat? Is there a reason why that one hasn't been snapped up? also is that the sort of money i should be looking at to get a compedative boat.

Cheers Ali

Jane Wade

Hi

The Electric Prune is a very competitive boat and would definitely not hold you back if you are a competent pairing!  It has been somewhat unlucky in that it has been sold twice and suffered from late buyer fall out.  Just circumstance!

I crewed the boat for quite some time and it is very sorted - even down to the packing up kit which is ideal if you are planning on doing the circuit.

Jane W

Tom Stewart (Guest)

N3501 P&B Feeling Foolish is for sale (after Burton Week) Winner of 6 Championship races and the champs last year, as well as the 70th anniversary. She is definitely a seriously quick boat. Professionally maintained.

Call me for details 01604 592808

Mike S

I just agreed to buy Electric Prune from Kevin so that one's gone now. I think there's currently no DBs up for sale but with Ovvies now building boats for Tom I guess there will soon be a mini glut on the market.

Mike
N3274 (soon to be for sale)

popeye_ali

[quote by=Tom Stewart (Guest) link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1183308277,s=7 date=1183375630]N3501 P&B Feeling Foolish is for sale (after Burton Week) Winner of 6 Championship races and the champs last year, as well as the 70th anniversary. She is definitely a seriously quick boat. Professionally maintained.

Call me for details 01604 592808[/quote]

Hi Tom tried phoning you this evening but no reply, dont know if its your work phone number.
would certainly like to have a chat about the boat my phone number is 01424 842130 or 07921220640

Thanks Alistair Hodge

James Taylor

That's Toms work tel no. at P&B,

Hope that helps

Cheers
James
3304 (Up For Sale)

n12 Bottom Banner