National 12 - find out more...

N2994 Weirdstone III

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 14 Aug 2007, 09:37

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2994 Weirdstone III.   Design: Wind-Fall, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1975
Original boat name: The Faker.

roger lepla

In 1981 the boat was called the faker and  came to Northampton sailing club.
It had no thwart.
It went to the 1982 burton week at Weymouth.

blurta (Guest)

hi, i have just bought 2994 to race at Dee SC in the north west. hope to upload some pics soon
iain

blurta

blurta

hi could anyone please let me know what the fairleads infront of the shroud fairleads might be used for? they seem too far outboard to be barber hauler pionts.
cheers iain

Jeremy

Hi Iain,
I owned a Windfall very briefly in the 80s and from memory the fairleads in front of the shroud entry point was definitely for the barber haulers. The jibsheets lead through a plastic ring attached to a length of thin-ish rope that then lead through the deck through said fairleads, across the boat and up to a cleat screwed in to the aft-facing surface of the foredeck on what would be the windward side, with the same system repeated on the other side of the boat. That way the crew could adjust the leeward barber hauler whilst sitting to windward up the beat. For most of the time going upwind the barber hauler would be released, so the jibsheet led straight down from the jib clew to a ratchet block mounted on a track on the floor of the cockpit. When going off-wind, you'd pull on a bit of barber hauler to move the clew outboard and open up the slot the appropriate amount.
Hope that helps. Lovely boat, by the way. Makes me quite nostalgic for the Windfall I woned but never really managed to sail much.
Jeremy.

iain (Guest)

thanks jeremy, that makes a lot of sense. but i guess they are redundant if we fit a dangly pole to control the jib leech when not beating.

Jeremy

Iain,
I think that's right, yes. Once you've fitted a dangly pole, no need for barber haulers anymore, although people who still actually sail Twelves (unlike me!) would know much more about this.
Happy sailing!
Jeremy.

AndyE

Hi
Have taken ownershipof N2994 and will sail out of Bristol with my daughter - had to give up the International 14 for her!!!

Mr B

New owner & new paint.

DaveS

Hi, I recently bought 2994, she had not been used for several years after the sudden death of the previous owner.
I intend to re-paint and varnish her, then sell her on, as I sail another boat (Signet 20) and unfortunately don't have time to sail both.
Dave.

DaveS

N2994 now has a new owner and is no longer with me.
Dave.

Clive Warren

The boat was originally build by Joe Radgick in Exmouth for John Whitehead, then of Redesmere sailing club, the original name was The Faker and John had a lot of success on the midland area circuit as it was at the time. Original colour was a maroon which was very similar to the colour shown in the later photos in this thread. good to see it looking so well still.
Clive

n12 Bottom Banner