National 12 - find out more...

Y&Y Boat review of N12

Started by rick perkins, 05 Oct 2006, 02:09

« previous - next »

John Meadowcroft

very lightweight plastic and a basic adhesive or some duck tape as the hinge.  Read the rules about how close to the hull skin they can get.  From memory they must not be closer than about an inch.  This is to stop you turning your transom flap into an artificial way of making your boat longer...  Ie a National 12 with a six foot planing surface out the back that the owner wants to call a transom flap.

rick perkins

I has some 3mm perspex sheet in the garage and so I have just cut out some transom flaps - they weigh a ton (well 300g).

I can't put them on the back of my boat.  :-/

What thickness sheet should I be out shopping for?

Rick

regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

John Meadowcroft

My transom flaps are made out of sail window material.  they dont weigh very much!

rick perkins

How do you keep them shut or fo you just work on the premise that the water will shut them?
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Lukepiewalker

With the double floor you don't want to impede drainage out, so probably elastic free would be the way to go. I've seen people use margarine tub lids, light and cheap to replace....
I suppose you could get some cool carbon ones knocked up... 8)

Jimbo42

Lukepiewalker

It depends on circumstances. Rick says he gets a lot of water in when he mounts up via the transom, which presumably doesn't help when trying to escape the beach. Once your moving it isn't as much of an issue, but there will always be certain circumstances where you want to prevent water coming in through the back.

Jimbo41

Thanks Lukepie

O.k. we'll cross that bridge when we come to it...  ;D Can't think how to modify the design though. Perhaps one can do without, just by shifting one's weight around in the boat  so as to encourage draining ?

Jim N3130 (Wood - plain, simple, effective)

John Murrell (Guest)

Speaking from experience having had four Twelves with open tramsoms so far with a fifth having just arrived in the Ivybridge boatyard, I have never had a problem! The thing to remember is where the crew weight should be in the boat; get that right and water in the back of the boat simlpy washes out! I do argee with Meds in that you do have to be careful that the various strings don't wash out the back but really thats no different to getting them stuck in the bailers ??)

The only real benefit in a tramsom / transom flaps is that it helps keep the water in the boat after a capsize,sinking it slightly and hence making it more stable to recover and get going again - moral of that is don't capsize!

John

Jimbo41

n12 Bottom Banner