National 12 - find out more...

Is this true?

Started by JohnMurrell, 02 Dec 2009, 03:49

« previous - next »

sam293

im not sure how true that is, but they have layed of some staff so i would sadly assume that it is true.
really sad to hear this

Phil Brown

Afraid so, just had an email from Kevan
"

Dear All

I am sorry to announce that Alverbank Sails has
ceased trading due to both economic reasons and problems with the tenure of our
lease.
I am approaching 65 and have decided to back
out.
I must thank everybody for their support over years
and will miss the gossip when cutomers come in for a chat.

Stuart who has worked with for this year will start
up in his own name and will hopefully be able to offer the same services will be
contactable on 07855 946527

Kevan Bloor
Alverbank Sails Ltd"

I'm sure we all wish Kevan a long and happy retirement

<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

paul turner

<strong style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;">ALVERBANK SAILS LTD[/b]
<strong style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;">Unit 12, Perkins Yard, Mansfield Road, Derby DE21 4AW[/b]
To all customers, and class associations.
December 2009

Alverbank Sails has been run successfully by Kevan Bloor since the early 1970’s and so it is with great sadness that we have to advise you that the Directors and Shareholders have decided that the Company is to cease trading with immediate effect.
The reasons for this are as follows:
1.    The current recession has meant that orders have virtually dried up since mid-summer despite major marketing initiatives, de-stocking (including the use of eBay), and excellent results at Open Meetings and Championships.

2.    The Company’s reserves and momentum were seriously depleted by Kevan’s stroke last year.

3.    The current and future levels of overheads can no longer be financed.

4.    Kevan will be 65 shortly and, to enable him to fully recover from his health problems, he has decided that he should retire and take a well-earned rest.
We thank you for custom and support over the years and trust that you would all wish Kevan a long and healthy retirement; thanks also go to Janet, and latterly Debi Gibson, for their involvement and support.
Stuart Hopson is planning to start his own sail making business in the near future and Kevan has agreed to advise him on a part time basis; his Partner Debi (who is a fully trained sail maker) will also be there to support him in his new venture. Stuart can be contacted on 07855 946527.

Paul Turner, for the Board & Members

Company number: 1433465
Directors: KF Bloor, J Bloor, PN Horton-Turner FCA

Jane Wade

Best of luck to Kevan.  Not a good time to be in small business.
Jane

MikeDay

I am very sorry to hear this news. At one time I owned the first sail that Kevan ever made when I had Imrahil second hand from him, and I guess I had one of the last suits of Alverbanks for Flipside this summer.  Kevan's talents as a sailmaker have added immeasurably to the development of the Class over nearly 40 years and Twelves will be poorer for the end of Alverbank sails.

Mike D
N352?

John Meadowcroft

I too lament the passing of Alverbank Sails.  Kevan offered a first class service to N12 sailors and a number of other classes.  My observation is that more than any other sailmaker involved in the Class in the last 20 years Kevan clearly offered a tailored service to every Customer.  I am sad that in the end there were not enough customers left in the market place.
Kevan - you deserve a long and happy retirement.
Meds

James Taylor

Would like to say he is very sorry to hear that Alverbanks is no more and would like to thank Kevan for all his amazing help whenI was trying to set up Epi after many many phone calls kevin. with his time and expertise over the phoneit was all sorted and thank you kevan
Kevan have a long and happy retirement.

Mikey C (Guest)

Sorry to hear this too - learnt a lot from Kevan over a summer or two - he's definitely earned a good retirement!
Best of luck to everyone who was involved in their new ventures...

Mike C

icecreamman

Can I add my best wishes to Kevan in his retirement, as everyone beforehand has said he has definitely earned it.

JimB (Guest)

Quote from: Mikey C (Guest)Sorry to hear this too - learnt a lot from Kevan over a summer or two - he's definitely earned a good retirement!
Best of luck to everyone who was involved in their new ventures...

Mike C

I too am very sorry to hear this. Kevan was always ready to give advice and chat over the phone about 12s and I spent quite a lot of money but enjoyed myself immensely ringing up from Germany, when I had tuning/handling problems. He was a source of inspiration and to me makes up part of what the 12s stand for. Honest value. I hope he has a really good retirement!!!  Good luck!
Jim.

Stuart Hopson (Guest)

My new sail loft is now open. It is called Alverbanks. I will still be working closely with Kevan Bloor to produce the highest quality sails we can.
A new pricelist for sails will be on www.alverbanks.co.uk from tonight. Thankyou everyone for your support.

terry c

Tim Gatti

Good to see that the name of Alverbank continues and good luck to Stuart, Debi with their new venture.
To contact them please use this alternative email address stuarthop@hotmail.com  - the Alverbanks one is not playing ball at the moment.
Tim

n12 Bottom Banner