National 12 - find out more...

DCB rudder control

Started by Michael, 01 Dec 2009, 07:23

« previous - next »

Mikey C (Guest)

For a foil running in free flow, it should be 5 chord widths, but if you are using the stern wake it will probably be slightly higher than this.

broz

Thanks for the info on the now need, looks like I had better start building.
Thinking about cassette foil, putting the top of the leading edge on ecsentric cams, ie the cams will lift the front of the rudder to create the angle. The reverse of a Europe centreboard.
Dead cheap, dead ease.

darebarry

National handbook, page 171 shows a foiling rudder on the stern of Simon Nelson's 3399 in 1994, did not catch on then, will they this time???
Dare. 3521

terry c

Things have moved on if in any doubt check this link!
http://foilingboatadventures.blogspot.com/

samlaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrCKs5k1EnM
A video of the DCB rudder control, to go with the discusion.
N2743<br />

John T (Guest)

Just wanted to put a few thoughts in about foils given my experiences last season. Fundamentally my view is that the more competent helms are going to get more out of T foils than other helms, so we are likely to see more spread out fleets ... why ...

- As Meads says fore and aft trim is critical, as I see it the benefit of the T foil is to reduce wetted surface, to do this you need to make sure that neither the bow or stern dig in as the boat speeds up or slows down
- Equally keeping the boat level thwartships is more critical with a T foil, if the boat is not level any lift from the T foil is actually exentuating (is that a word) the angle of heel, which gets interesting when going fast down wind
- Last season I had 2 positions for the rudder, on and off, however I have no doubt that there is actually a correct angle for 1/4 knot change in boat speed, some-one more competent than me might be able to adjust for this!

The good news about T foils is that when they work they make you smile more, and I can report no more issues with Salcombe weed than with a standard rudder. The other good thing is that I think they might have reduced the advantage that lighter crews had in 12's .... maybe that is until lighter crews have T-foils!
It will be good to see more T foils out there this year, but then most of the people buying seem pretty competent!

JT 3522

Jane Wade

Quote from: 124National handbook, page 171 shows a foiling rudder on the stern of Simon Nelson's 3399 in 1994, did not catch on then, will they this time???
Dare. 3521

I was sailing Simon that year - the rudder was necessary to help him back into the boat, you will remember he was not so tall, Jonno had one as well. 

Martin

We are getting a lot of info about the relative benefits of T Foils, but what about the trim tab on the centreboard. Are the new build DCB's being fitted with them. Would they be useful modification retrofitted to older boats? Do they require much adjustment in use and would they be a more practical modification for those of us who sail on small waters?

n12 Bottom Banner