National 12 - find out more...

fittings and layout

Started by mikey27, 16 Jun 2010, 01:03

« previous - next »

mikey27

Hi all,
I'm restoring an old Proctor National 12 from the early sixties. I've got a box full of fittings but I'm not sure where to put them all. Would anyone happen to be able to provide some photos of their national 12, ideally with some quite close up shots of where to fix cam cleats and fittings etc. Any help much appreciated, thanks.

MikeDay

It's good that another old 12 is getting restored.  Your problem is that even in the 1960s, there was no such thing as a standard layout.  It would depend on which Proctor shape you have, who built it and how many times it has been refitted since then.  The screw holes in the boat will give you some sort of guide and to a large extent, you can suit yourself anyway and put things where you think they'll work.  Or ... get yourself along to your nearest Twelve club that has boats of that vintage and look at them, or better still take your boat and fittings along when one or two experienced vintage sailors are around, and they'll help you work it all out.  You'll find people only too pleased to help.

Mike D
N3533

johnk

Is the centreboard made of
Steel?
Aluminium?
or wood?
The first two would need rope uphauls to the board, usually with a pulley on the board and at each side of the mast foot. The rope then goes to a jamming cleat on each side. It is VITAL to have a good stopper knot.

m0slf

i have just got a 12 sail number 2002 most of the riging is ok but the gib sheat through cleats are not fitted can any one help i have jaming cleats fitted to the side seats

Chadders

Hi happy to help but a bit flat out right now and as Mike D says we all fit out our boats slightly differently so it may not be easy. 
My contact details are in the class yearbook or email me photos of the bits you are unsure about
I am overdue to download some pics of my own 60s boat fit out so will email them to you too but it may be of limited help as we all fit out slightly differently and my boat has been updated quite a bit to a fairly modern layout.
Which bit of the country are you in, we may be able to point you to someone in your area who csn offer some more help and look at your boat for you.   Howard Chadwick aka Chadders

Tim Gatti

Hi - I refitted and repaired a Mark 12 a couple of years ago - see 2255, 'Purely Platonic' in the Boat Database - quite a few pics there to give you an idea of my layout. and have got planty more if you need them. (A few more attached to this response too). It isn't strictly 'traditional' as I have fitted muscle boxes to control rig tension and other bits and pieces.  She won the Vintage Trophy at the Burton last year so things clearly work well. I look after the N12 Vintage secn so if you need further advice please give me a call. My number is in the handbook. Good luck.

Tim Gatti

n12 Bottom Banner