National 12 - find out more...

How fast is it mister

Started by ifoxwell, 27 Jul 2010, 02:45

« previous - next »

ifoxwell

As there are now a few of the DCB boats being activly raced just how do they perform off wind.
Clearly they are quick or they wouldn't be winning everything but I'm curious how they compare to a more traditional planning hull shape?
Ian

Martin

....and a supplementary question if anyone will take it. How are the new Paradigm owners finding their boats performing compared to the DCBs and their previous boats? In what conditions/water types do they perform best?

Jane Wade

I think that the Foolishes retro fitted with a good winged rudder are as quick as the DCBs.  Watch the results next year....

ifoxwell

Hi Jane
Thanks for the reply.
I guess what i'm asking (as some one who hasn't had any experience of the new winged boat) is that the results seem to suggest that over the course of a race they are quicker. But is that extra pace found upwind, downwind when boats spend more of there time displacement sailing.  
What happens offwind when boats are planing. Does the rudder still help or do they suffer against the flatter, more traditional planing hull shape?
Just curious....
Ian

Jane Wade

Hi

Well from where I have been sitting compared with all other boats with only two exceptions (Steve Norbury / Andy Hill in 3514 at Weymouth & Ian Gore / Penny Yarwood 3441 at Hunstanton) the new DCB with wings is faster in all directions except a dead run when it is difficult to say.  In fact they are much quicker upwind and noticeable quicker on the reaches.  In Weymouth there were a few occasions when if felt as though we were planing upwind, although I think hydrodynamics experts say this is not possible.  
It is difficult to know whether it is the winged rudder alone though, the hull shape is different as is the sail plan so there are a few variables!  They are a very different animal to sail, so see if you maybe you could try one at an Open later in the year?

Jane
Crew Snagglepuss 3527 and Alpha Male 3512

andymck

Ian
Bottom line is they are faster all round the course. I took over a minute out of Caroline Martin up the last beat in the Burton Cup, having sailed through the fleet to ninth. I had gone back at the start thinking I was over the line. You notice it most when you can get the boat going on a reasonably long leg. Down wind they plane earlier and longer, so in marginal conditions we go away from the fleet. I think when the wind gets really up the downwind difference is much less downwind, but most of the boats keeping up with the top guys in DCB's had wings too. 
At the Burton, a well sailed Paradigm (Meds) was about the same speed as a reasonably well sailed DCB (me). The only time i find the boat difficult is in the really light stuff, but I think when we sit forward a bit more (the rig is a lot further back in the boat, an so we sit further back) this may be overcome.
Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

Martin

With a winged rudder does the helm feel any different (heavier perhaps) Do they impact on tacking and would they be a practical proposition for pond sailors?

Kevin

Martin, the only people who can answer your question are those who have experienced a conventional rudder and winged version on the same boat. I think that currently limits it to Steve Norbury, Ian Gore and Graham Camm. From my perspective, the DCB is a significantly different boat to sail in many respects (compared with the Foolish) but how much of that is down to the wings rather than the hull shape is difficult to say. However, I do not believe the helm on the DCB feels noticably different and I do not think the type of water you are sailing on makes any difference to whether or not a winged rudder will work.

One thing is certain, the DCB has given us a different dimension to our sailing; no-one has yet got the maximum from these boats, they are exciting, sometimes confusing and great fun.

Kevin
Helm Snagglemale 3527 Alpha Puss 3512 (did I say they are confusing?)

andymck

I sailed Jo's boat with no wing, it was very light so difficult to know how much of a difference it made, but I still felt the wing did make a difference. As soon as there is enough wind they seem to go.

Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

darebarry

We sailed N3521 at Thorpe Bay and then during the summer got a winged rudder from Composite Craft. It was only used at Salcombe and Northampton. We could see bits of potential but it took some working out to get the best from it. We felt at Weymouth that it made the boat much steadier and easier to sail. We had our best result for quite a few years, with our up wind speed improved. In cut up water on a broad reach/run the whole boat is a much more stable platform to sail.
As with all new bits of kit it is always hard to say how much any single item helps performance, with the DCB they are all new boats in good hands with all new kit. only time will tell.
Cheers Dare N3521 

n12 Bottom Banner