National 12 - find out more...

So what's the deal with the Paradox

Started by ifoxwell, 10 Aug 2010, 03:44

« previous - next »

ifoxwell

From the write up in the design guide it seems like it should be a great boat... so why only two built?
Was it flawed in some way or just no better so that people didn't both upgrading?
Ian

Martin

I would think the fact that the Foolish has an excellent track record and has always been readily available commercially off the shelf has a lot to do with it.  Punters and Builder both happy therefore little incentive to promote new design. I think a similar fate befell the Numinous.

Antony (Guest)

I think that it is fair to say that neither of us (Jon Brown and myself) ever really got them to go in all conditions.  I certainly struggled to make the boat go in the lighter stuff where the Foolish seemed ok and the Numinous better again.  That said, we won a couple of races at Abersoch in ours and i think that both of us have been 3rd overall in them so a decent enough design in their time.. bearing in mind that neither Graham/Zoe or Tom/Liz combinations sailed them!  The only time I have ever thought i might win the Burton was in 3484, then the wind died and we sat in a hole for a while.....
The mould is in a barn in Suffolk if anybody wants to use it.  If the owner of the barn reads this (she won't) then the mould will be heading for the tip in due course anyway as i think she has forgotten it is there!
Antony
3348 (ex 3484 and many others)

samdoman

I would be extremely interested in using the paradox mould to build a new hull. I'm based in Suffolk at the moment too! I will email you, Antony.

n12 Bottom Banner