National 12 - find out more...

Boat Advice for Newbie

Started by Dave O, 14 Feb 2011, 01:05

« previous - next »

Dave O

Hi, Looking at starting sailing again after 15 years off (ex Fireball, GP14, Flying 15) and would be grateful for advice on the following (apologies if its all been said before)
Looking to buy a boat for the Nats, Gill Series and club sailing at South Windermere. All up crew weight of 20 to 21 stone.  Does this crew weight allow you to chose virtually any design or is it ideally to heavy  for a Baggy and to light for a Paradigm?
Am I right in thinking that unless you buy a double bottomed boat of the DCB, Feeling Foolish. etc likes and have it fit out with carbon spars or you will not be top end fleet sailing or does a carbon rig on an AC boat make enough difference ?
Unfortunately I cannot afford £4k plus at this moment so think realistically I'm better off trying to find a good AC boat and be competitive in that fleet.  If so, based on the criteria above what would suit, Final Chapter, D8, Baggy1 / 2 ??
Finally, I may be able to crew this year on an ad hoc basis if I can't find the right boat to buy, let me know
Thanks, Dave

Jon M

D8 are a good allrounder, and there is a good looking one for sale now in Scotland.
I was going to get a D8 until a mouse ate the sails. I have bought a WIld Front Ear from a club member.

Roly Mo

3414 is a very well sorted boat. I sailed it in a race last year with my 9 year old daughter, would have bought it myself if I had'nt already bought 3334.
Bernard
2149, 3334, 3447

Dave O

Thanks for the responses.  I guess that the 20-21 stone crew weight allows you a widerr choice of design compared to being at the light or heavy extreme.
I've also noticed that good 2nd hand boats are in very limited supply.  Still prefer the look of a wooden boat compared to foam sandwich but am sure they look a lot better than my 1977 GP14 which was glass :-)
Will keep an eye on the market and see what comes up.  May well have to take a trip to Scotland to view 3414
Dave

Jane Wade

Answering your other question about being competitive - you probably won't make it into the top few at the Nationals but don't rule out the open circuit.  The AC fleet is also hotly contested so expect some tight racing in Brightlingsea.

Dave O

Thanks Jane
think the AC route is the best option regarding competitve racing, cost and probably my own capability - after 15 years out I may not be able to point a boat in the right direction :)
Dave

n12 Bottom Banner