National 12 - find out more...

Twickenham YC Open Meeting - Oct 7

Started by Alistair Edwards, 18 Sep 2012, 07:56

« previous - next »

Alistair Edwards

This is just a quick reminder to potential visitors that the Twickenham Yacht Club N12 Open Meeting takes place on Sunday October 7th.

The home fleet will hopefully be well represented. At TYC we currently have 7 N12s ( 2 Design 8s, 3 Tigress, 1 China Doll and 1 Paper Dart.) with 6 boats out racing on a regular basis.

Sadly we only had 5 boats participating last year so this year I am hoping for something closer to the splendid 12 boat attendance that we had in 2010!

3 races with first start at 11am. 2 afternoon races back to back.

Prizes for first overall and first Admiral's Cup boat.

In the event of a westerly or easterly breeze we will use the usual reach between Eel Pie Island and Richmond, but if we get a northerly or southerly we have the option of racing on the reach between Eel Pie and Teddington.

High water is 19:46 so there will be no risk of any cars getting flooded on the riverside road.

The hard by the White SWan pub provides our visitors with a good rigging & launching area.

Good changing facilities including showers with plenty of hot water.

Lunches and afternoon teas will be available, and of course the bar will be open.

More details about TYC on our new website www.Twickenhamyc.org
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

Neal

Planning to bring Indecision along.
3271 & 3501

Alistair Edwards

Hi Neal,

I look forward to seeing the end result of your renovation project. Anyone else from Burghfield coming to play on the river?
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)

Alistair Edwards

As of this morning the weather forecasts are predicting very light winds for tomorrow. As a consequence of recent rain, river flow could be a significant problem. We will make a decision on whether we can race tomorrow morning but I felt it would be appropriate to warn our visitors that there is a risk of cancellation.
I am going to look at the river shortly (and continue watching the forecasts) and will post an update this afternoon.
We are obviously keen to sail and for visitors to join us!
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)

Alistair Edwards

Conditions for tomorrow not looking good. River is flowing at around 2 knots and upstream the Environment Agency River Thames Conditions website is showing a mixture of strong stream and stream increasing warnings. Flow is therefore unlikely to decrease.
Wind forecasts (XC Weather and Met Office) predict 5 mph breeze which would not be sufficient to make any progress against the stream.
To avoid any wasted jouneys I intend to check river conditions and wind forecasts early tomorrow morning, and then at 8am post an update here on this thread. If conditions have not improved substantially we will announce a cancellation at that time.
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)

Alistair Edwards

Event cancelled due to adverse conditions. River flowing strongly and all weather forecasts only showing 2 to 3 mph breeze.
We will look at possible dates for rescheduling.
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)

John and Mandy (Guest)

Hi Alistair,

Sorry that the weather stopped the sailing this weekend, but many thanks for the posts and phone call, it certainly saved us a wasted trip.

I hope you manage to sort out another date soon.

Best wishes, John and Mandy
N3443

n12 Bottom Banner