National 12 - find out more...

Hi from sunny Oxfordshire

Started by criticalmass, 01 Aug 2015, 08:35

« previous - next »

criticalmass

Hi all,  

just paid my subs and am eagerly looking forward to receiving N3459 'Carbon Copy' who I sm happy to say is coming to live with me in sunny south Oxfordshire. 
1st N12 and only been sailing since May but have definitely got the bug  :)
Regards,
Pete

edwillett

criticalmass

Thanks. 
Todays the day for delivery....... Mega excited. Can't wait!!!!!!

3513SL

Congratulations! Will we be seeing her out and about ?
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

Chilli

did you get Carbon Copy from Force 4 Dinghy Centre ? i just remember seeign the pics of her sat on their showroom floor

criticalmass

Hi Chilli. Yes I bought her from Steve at Force 4. Top guy. Really pleased with her.
Just need to do some maintenance on the blocks and muscle box to loosen things up a bit then she'll be a dream to sail.

criticalmass

Quote from: 1224Congratulations! Will we be seeing her out and about ?

Once i learn how to keep the water on the outside i'm sure she'll make an appearance.

smilie

Hello Pete, welcome to the wonderful world of 12 sailing;)  If ever fancy a bit of sailing with other 12's you are more than welcome to visit Milton Keynes SC since we are just up the road.
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

criticalmass

Quote from: 1132Hello Pete, welcome to the wonderful world of 12 sailing;)  If ever fancy a bit of sailing with other 12's you are more than welcome to visit Milton Keynes SC since we are just up the road.

Hi there. That's a very kind offer. Would certainly enjoy a little open water sailing in her. 
Just in the process of removing the centre main conversion and returning her to traditional aft main setup. Doseason anyone have any recommendations on the best type of bridle/traveller arrangement for this? 
Any previous owners with experience in re rigging the jib halyard block arrangement?

Neal

Pete - happy to ping over some pics of my Design 8 which is pretty sorted after a couple of years playing.  Also based at Burghfield if you wanted to pop over sometime?
Neal.
3271 & 3501

Neal

Also might like to come along to the Henley open meeting on 20th Sep if you feel like sailing with a few more 12's on the Thames.
3271 & 3501

criticalmass

Hi Neal. 
Some pics of your design 8 would great. Thanks! 
I'll definitely be taking her away to Sample different waters as soon as I've got her under control!  
Worryingly i found a small crack in the prow this evening which I think has let in some water. Need to figure out how to fix it with the right materials.

smilie

Hello Pete doing a repair in carbon isn't much different to doing a repair in glass. It does sound like if letting the water in then you will cracked core as well which again isn’t the hardest thing to fix depending on size. I would suggest either posting  some photos or emailing some over and I will take a look.
If you are wondering where get materials from I have found these guys are pretty good at the mo http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p-3261-225g-plain-weave-carbon-fibre-108-wide-per-mt.aspx

It’s also worth have a look round the Cherub class forum because there will probably some advice on fixing cracks in carbon boats ;o)
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

criticalmass

Quote from: 1132Hello Pete doing a repair in carbon isn't much different to doing a repair in glass. It does sound like if letting the water in then you will cracked core as well which again isn’t the hardest thing to fix depending on size. I would suggest either posting  some photos or emailing some over and I will take a look.
If you are wondering where get materials from I have found these guys are pretty good at the mo http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p-3261-225g-plain-weave-carbon-fibre-108-wide-per-mt.aspx

It’s also worth have a look round the Cherub class forum because there will probably some advice on fixing cracks in carbon boats ;o)

Hi. I think i may have been a little hasty in my diagnosis of where the water came in. after lots of testing I am pretty confident that the water which I found in the front buoyancy tank gained entry via the front inspection cover which had not been screwed in properly prior to launching (and extensive capsizing!). 
Ive done my best since and haven't been able to get any more in through the chip in the bow which I thought was the culprit. Happily this means that the only repairs needed are cosmetic and should be fine with the correct resin epoxy filler and paint (If anyone knows the colour code used on Carbon Copy's recent yellow paint job that would be great)
any advice on intelligently replacing the control lines which run through triple blocks inside the Thwart and centreboard case? I think the Jib halyard control is due replacement. 
Pete

n12 Bottom Banner