National 12 - find out more...

Newbie.

Started by Jburn6606, 14 Mar 2021, 06:14

« previous - next »

Jburn6606

Hi Everyone, my name is John and I sail at Salcombe. I used to sail 12's around 20years ago and I'm looking to get back into the fleet.

I currently sail an RS200 with my 11 year old son but think a 12 would be a better boat for Salcombe. The asymmetric spinnaker isn't great in Salcombe due to the lack of space and wind direction. It ends up being more hassle than it's worth.
I'm looking for a boat that is fairly new with all the top spec bits. If anyone knows or has something suitable please get in touch.

Finding a newish second hand 12 seems impossible.

Also if anyone wants an RS200 then I'm happy to sell or swap/part ex for a 12.

Also any advise for us would be great and most welcome.

Hopefully see you out on the water soon.

John.

John m

Hi John

I remember you!  I hope you can find the boat you are looking for.  It would be great to have you back.

John

Jburn6606

Thanks John, I remember sailing with you at Chew Valley all those years ago!

Fingers crossed some one will come forward fairly soon who wants to sell their boat.

John.

Antony3514

John,

Don't rule out a boat from the previous generation.   There are some pretty quick examples of Foolishes and Chapters that have been converted with the addition of a winged rudder.   You might also find, at least at the club in handicap racing, that you prefer sailing with a normal rudder around Salcombe, and the DCB does not work without the wings.   My suggestion, if you can face the geographic issues, would be to see if you can pick up a cheap Foolish and get it to Walton (Essex) for Simon Hipkin to fit a winged rudder.   The combined cost will still be a lot less than a DCB (if you can find one).

Antony Gifford

Jburn6606

Hi Antony

Thanks for your comments. Great news, I have actually managed to get myself a boat now, Foolish 3494 "Monkey Business". The previous owner came forward after seeing my post. He lives in Cornwall so not too far for me to go in the end. I believe that at some point in it's life it was actually one of my fellow Salcombe Yacht Club members boats before he sold it to the chap that I have purchased it off. It has already got the winged rudder so it is pretty much good to go!
Just need to get my head around using the thing now!

Kind regards,

John.

n12 Bottom Banner