National 12 - find out more...

Twickenham Open Meeting - October 14

Started by Alistair Edwards, 19 Sep 2018, 11:28

« previous - next »

Alistair Edwards

The Twickenham YC National 12 fleet is very healthy at present. We have a fleet of 7 boats comprising a couple of double bottoms, a couple of Design 8s, two Paper Darts and a Cheshire Cat.
At last years Open Meeting all 7 boats took part, but sadly we had no visitors. It would be great to have some visitors this year!
For those who are not aware the main trophy, the Thames Challenge is a very impressive lump of Silver first sailed for here in 1936.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

grazz

Dear Alistair
It's great to hear the Twickenham fleet is going strong. Unfortunately we can't make it to the open meeting as it's the Endeavour Trophy weekend, but I hope some other Thames Area locals will join you this year.

Zoe

John & Mandy

Hi Alistair

I'm really sorry, but The Full Monty won't be joining you either this year.  Unfortunately there are several event clashes on that day...I hope you all have a great day and that the weather is as beautiful as normal.

Hope to see you next year
John and Mandy
N3443

JohnM

Hi Alastair
Sorry we did not make it today.  We were packed up but the rain forecast all day has persuaded us to do other domestic jobs instead.  Hope it all goes well, I will get in touch about a date for 2019
Cheers
John Meadowcroft

Alistair Edwards

Despite the horrible weather forecast all 7 of the TYC N12 fleet took part in the Open Meeting on Sunday.

The prevailing wind direction was northerly, but on the water burgees were spinning all over the place. With tall trees on the northern bank of the Thames, a northerly wind provides the most difficult sailing conditions on our reach. At one point during the first race the torrential rain made it very difficult to see, and those who were not in wetsuits got drenched.

Sailing was extremely competitive throughout the event with the lead changing frequently during the races. A diverse range of designs headed the fleet, with a Cheshire Cat a Paper Dart and a double bottomed Final Chapter taking turns to briefly lead. As ever the key to staying ahead was avoiding the many holes and capitalising on advantageous lifts.

Pip Deverson sailed her Cheshire Cat extremely well in the challenging conditions and with two first places won the Thames Challenge trophy. She admitted that she was keen to win the two first races so that she did not have to venture out again in the rain after lunch.

At one point several years ago the Twickenham N12 fleet was down to just 2 boats, so it is very encouraging that we now have 7 boats in regular use. Single handed N12 sailing is a particular Twickenham speciality which works extremely well in light winds.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

n12 Bottom Banner