National 12 - find out more...

Preferences for fixing for transom flaps

Started by RichardW, 01 Feb 2016, 05:26

« previous - next »

RichardW

New to N12, and working on a few minor fixes for the new season.  Initial outings were fun, but wet!

I inherited a rather severely cut-away transom on a single-bottom boat. After much research through this forum I have sorted out some new transom flaps. I have now got suitably sized flaps which I plan to fit using sail repair tape.  The flaps are 500m long on the top edge, and of the thin & flexible type - so quite a gap.

The question is how to fix: horizontal along the top edge, or vertical behind the rudder?
My thinking being that horizontal is good for keeping them in place, but will foul the rudder if ever opened and won't be as snug at the waterline.  Vertical - well, opposite of horizontal.

What do you think?

angus

My prefered method is to use a single piece of flexible plastic which is held in place by the rudder fittings.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

3513SL

Hi Richard,

Welcome onboard!

Elastic through into a) the transom or b) into the boat could work, if affixed by sail tape / 3m tape or similar.

I'd welcome other people's thoughts though.
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

Neal

Richard - in agreement with Angus here.  We also use insulation tape along the bottom edge to solve the launching/getting rudder down inflow.

Neal.
3271 & 3501

Sylvester

Mine at fixed both horizontally and vertically . Not sure how effective,also just got the boat.

JohnMurrell

Richard,

I have used kevlar sail repair tape on Dinsdale, if you have a look at the pics on the database (N2632) you can just about see how I did it.

RichardW

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.  I think I'm starting to grasp the idea of a 'development' class :-)

I'll let you know how I get on!

(special call out to gfinch I think that you provided the parts!)

n12 Bottom Banner