National 12 - find out more...

Designs - man-o-war

Started by tedcordall, 13 Mar 2006, 06:20

« previous - next »

tedcordall

The 'designs' section of the website is excellent and gives a good snapshot of the relevant features of each model. There isn't however a description (or even a heading) for the man-o-war.

sam_N12

Hi,

I believe this is because the man o' war is a variation of the final chapter design, not a model of 12 in it's own right!
I may be wrong, but I think Dare Barry designed and builds these boats in the isle of white. I don't know haw many there are around though?

Sam

Tigress 3128

DavidW

There are many designs which don't feature in the guide - there have been something over 250 designs so some have been left out. Yes, the Man-o-War is Dare's design and is very similar to a Final Chapter and seems to share similar sailing characteristics. They have all been built in wood, mostly by Dare himself who seems to pop another one on to the scene every couple of years. I think there are 4 or 5 of them around. They represent a very economical way of getting into the double bottom brigade. Dare has been pretty successful in his at Burton Week and the one at our club has been seen to be quite quick on occasions. Well worth considering.

Cheers

David W
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

n12 Bottom Banner