National 12 - find out more...

Tuning Guide Tension Measurements

Started by Jimbo41, 20 Oct 2006, 10:35

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Looking in the Tuning Guide, I notice that the table of preferred values for rig tensions for Alverbanks sails are 200-250lbs measured on the forestay (page 13). Theoretically then, I'd need a long ladder or garage roof overhanging  branch or... in order to measure the rig tension, since the Dacron jib is in the way lower down.

Any ideas how to get round this problem? Or should I give up and just put as much jib tension on  as I feel appropriate (somewhat alchemistic approach - pass the Philosopher's stone, would you?)

Jim N3130 (Well wood)

tight (Guest)

Take the sail off the forestay, put just the wire up and set the rig up.  Or do what we all do, which is pull the rig on as hard as you think and check the rake.  Then go sailing.  The leeward shroud should just go slack when you both sit out hard.  Pull the shrouds on until this happens.  When you get ashore check the rake again.  Then get the black pen out.

Antony (Guest)

Jim,
There should be photos.  Put the jib up as usual and then roll the boat on to its side!

The comment on flopping leward shroud is also valid, but depends on how stiff you boat is in the case of older wooden boats.

Antony

Jimbo41

Thanks for the advice lads!

Nuttyshell is fairly stiff, since the leeward shroud does pant when we sit out. We have tried tight's method then.

The reason why I asked was that we don't have much grass at our club. It would have been good to have measurement from the shrouds too, but this is probably only possible for a P&B rig on a foolish where most of the rig is standard....

Jim N3130 (I hate woodpeckers)

n12 Bottom Banner