National 12 - find out more...

Rig tension and muscle boxes

Started by Tim Gatti, 23 Nov 2007, 11:51

« previous - next »

Tim Gatti

I'll be fitting out an older 12 this winter and am thinking of using a long-type muscle box as a jib -halyard tensioner. (I might consider them for shrouds too, but at the moment have a pair of levers to fit.)

I know they're a bit out of fashion at the moment - but John Sears' Pipedream seemed to go well with that arrangement at the Trent Valley Vintage and 4 Plank Open.

I keep missing out on any half-decent ones that turn up on e-Bay.  Can any of you who have replaced them with cascades help me out - I'm happy to negotiate a price.

E-mail me or call 07790 615800.

Thanks

Tim

THG

Tim - I'll be getting rid of my muscles boxes over winter - so make me an offer!
THG

cheap blocks (Guest)

Tim Gatti

Thanks for that - I suppose it's like anything on a boat if you don't keep it clean and maintain it, it's bound to give trouble, especially if it's hidden away from view.

But yes - the trend does seem to be moving towards a 'cascade' solution.  I made one up for the kicker on my Pipedream earlier this year and it's very effective. It's hard to believe that thin pink string can take so much load.  Popped a few of the splices at first though - but had no further problems once I'd doubled the length of the insert and put on a small stitched whipping just to make sure.

Anybody out there still a muscle box supporter? They do seem to be getting a bit of bad press at the moment - but they were all the rage at one time.

Jimbo41

Muscle boxes are ok - provided you don't go anywhere near a sandy beach  ;).
I don't think they are as good as a couple of decent blocks to give a 5 or 6 : 1 purchase for a forestay though. A muscle box doesn't respond very quickly.  There's also the problem of where to put it near the mast...

I've got muscle boxes on my Tigress and they suit her shrouds.
Good luck with the fitting out.

Cheers!

Jim. (N3470, all Harkened up with plenty of Dyneema, and N3130, waiting patiently for her Spring glass epoxy beauty treatment)

Lukepiewalker

Indeed, I think improvements in high tech ropage and especially in small, high load, ball bearing blocks have rendered muscle boxes obsolete.

n12 Bottom Banner