National 12 - find out more...

'Start to Win'

Started by Tim Gatti, 12 Mar 2010, 02:37

« previous - next »

Tim Gatti

This Discussion Forum is not usually used to advertise products but I hope an exception can be made in this instance...

I have just received a note from the Chairman of the Eric Twiname Trust - Bruce Aitken - about the excellent work of the Trust in supporting youth sailing and racing and the re-publication of Twiname's superb book on dinghy sailing - 'Start to Win'. 

If any of you have not yet had a chance to read this book then do so now - it has been out of print for 20 years but I can thoroughly recommend it and the new 3rd edition has been brought right up to date with all the current rules.

It's available online or I'm sure there will be copies available on the Adlard Coles stand at the Dinghy Exhibition.  All royalties from the sale of the book go to support the work of the Trust.  Thanks. Tim

Here's the note:

The Eric Twiname Memorial Trust and 'Start to  Win'

Early last  year the Eric Twiname Memorial Trust was  generously assigned the author's copyright of 'Start to  Win', written by Eric  Twiname in 1973. Out of print for over  20 years, Adlard Coles (now Adlard Coles Nautical, part  of A & C Black Publishers) have recently republished this classic -  now in its 3rd Edition and substantially re-designed, with a Foreward by Ben Ainslie and  an updated Rules section by Bryan  Willis to accord with the 2009-2012 ISAF  Rules. 

Despite the  passage of time 'Start to  Win' has undoubtedly retained its position as  the book on simple racing principles, written as it was  specifically for the benefit of the ordinary dinghy sailor. As such it manages  to remove much of the mystique of racing sailing and assists  helmsmen to improve their skills and tactical ability. There is arguably nothing else that sets out the  techniques of sailing in such a clear, understandable and straightforward  manner. 'Start to Win' has been welcomed back by its many  followers, and will no doubt be read for the first time by many more. This classic, which  complements 'The Rules Book'  also written by Eric  Twiname and revised by Bryan Willis for the 2009-2012 rules, is set to  help sailors achieve their racing best for many years to  come.

Royalties from 'Start  to Win' go to the Eric Twiname Memorial Trust, which was set up in  1980 in order to perpetuate Eric’s memory and to enable his  many and diverse sailing interests to continue. It became a registered charity  in 1991 with the primary objective of providing funding or equipment that will assist those in full-time education at schools and  universities in the United Kingdom to sail or yacht race, with the emphasis being directed towards youth. Purchase of this book will  therefore assist the Trust with its invaluable support for youth racing  sailing, which includes bursaries for juniors  on starter courses, the on-going provision of support RIBS for all nine national youth classes, the funding of  dinghies for training purposes for sailing associations and clubs, and the  financing of national championship events. For further information please visit our website www.erictwinametrust.org. 

It would be very much appreciated if you  could bring this e-mail to the attention of your members via your  website. 'Start to Win' is  available from Adlard Coles Nautical (discount price £15.29) and through  most nautical booksellers, as well as  Amazon. 

Kind  regards,

Bruce  Aitken

Chairman, Eric Twiname Memorial Trust

Louisa Mamakou (Guest)

I'm actually reading/reviewing this book right now - and although some of the images are old, it doesn't seem to matter because they illustrate perfectly what is being described.  It's an excellent read, and is teaching me so much that I should know but didn't think was very important - as well as a ton of other tips - the book is worth its weight in gold I say!
Louisa
N3220 Snowdrop

Mike S (Guest)

First book on sailing I ever read ...well maybe second after Swallows & Amazons. I can still remember my dad getting it out of the library.
I picked up a 2nd hand copy a few years back and found it as good and relevant as ever. I still dip into it.
Mike S
N3491

chalky

My copy came out of the school library in 1985... I should really take it back one day.

Barry

Weird,  I started reading this great book again over xmas. It is never far from hand. What this tells you is get your head out of the boat and learn to sail. If you are sailing as well as you can in the limitations of the boat (rare) then a step up in boat will make a big difference. Trouble is rembering that all the time.

n12 Bottom Banner