National 12 - find out more...

12 bites back

Started by FuzzyDuck, 07 Mar 2010, 08:38

« previous - next »

FuzzyDuck

Am feeling decidely depressed at present. Whilst sailing the Icebreaker on sunday fell over (again) whilst tacking and bent my Thumb back, ouch. Finished the race as you do and suffered in silence. Monday thumb was swollen so a trip to casualty showed a break. Not just any simple break, the section of bone the ligaments had attached to had pulled away and lodged in the joint.
Attended Fracture clinic today and a going straight into surgery tomorrow morning to have the two bits srewed back together. Very impressive NHS but not nice.
Even worse consultant suggested it would be at least 4 months before i should consider sailing again. Too many ropes to pull and risk of permanent damage. So it looks like the Burton Week entry may be on hold.
Now you know why the boat is up for sale. I need something a bit less dangerous. Vintage maybe......
Simon
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

Jane Wade

Really sorry to hear that Simon.  Best of luck with surgery.

Jane

andymck

You ought to be alright by burton week simon. We normally let people back to sports at 12 weeks, and thats more demanding things than a 12. Especially if there is a significant piece of bone, which it sounds like, which heal quicker. It will be stiff and sore for some time though.
Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

Tim Gatti

Sorry to hear about the broken thumb Simon, sounds very painful - but with just under 5 months to go to the Burton you should be ok.
A good choice of AC boats for sale at the moment - and always some bargains in the vintage fleet on offer, so hope you can do a deal in time to join us.
Not sure an AC or Vintage is going to be any safer though, unless you can do something about reducing your tendency to fall over!  Happy New Year. Tim

FuzzyDuck

beside internet, cool. deed is done still high on drugs so no pain yet. good stuff morphene

Tim Gatti

No snowballing, sledging or ski-ing for a while I guess Simon - and definitely no falling over.
Get well soon.
Tim

gerry ledger

Hi Simon sorry to hear about your thumb, didnt stop you eating all that roast beef diner after the race!!! How about a nice scruffy design 8

martin 1262

Get well soon mate, Thanks for the photo showing your big swelling!! Oh errr:P
Martin

FuzzyDuck

So you can all see my big swelling :'(

Chadders

Ouch that looks painful, can you use your other hand on the keyboard to find a nice sedate AC or perhaps that vintage 12 you have promised yourself?  Get well soon. Howard C

Slippery Jim (Guest)

Puts another angle on having a break away from it all - doesn't it? Ouch! Sorry to hear about that Simon. What I'm also appalled about is that you are selling my ex-boat and are contemplating a vintage... You can do just as much damage in one of those. Just don't go there mate is all I can say.
Take care and get fit soon...
Jim.
%9er GBR103  Slippery-When-Wet   (couldn't resist the old N12 name!)

Kevin

At least it wasn't the drinking hand!

I see the person in the bed opposite has a Zimmer frame; was it when you told them about the vintage boat that they decided to put you in the geriatric ward?

Hope it mends quickly.
Kevin

Phil Brown

Or how about a not so scruffy Design 8 ? - 3398 is up for sale.

Get well soon
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

FuzzyDuck

You are right Kevin they did put me in the geriatric ward! Must look older than I think!
Thanks for all the best wishes. been glossing skirting boards today.....can life get any worse!
Simon

Crusader 3244

Commisserations Simon, that's a tough break!
Linda, Ben and myself are hoping the swelling and pain are being replaced by the process of heeling.
'12' sailors do suffer for the 'art'.
Sorry too that the DB is to be offered for sale.
Get well soon.
Chris, 3244

n12 Bottom Banner