National 12 - find out more...

N3224 Dwaine Dibley

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 30 Mar 2007, 02:17

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3224 Dwaine Dibley. Design: Tigress, designed by: Michael Jackson in 1980
Original boat name: B-Ark.

DJC_654

My first 12! Bought it in 1993 wanting something a bit faster having  started helming my dads China Doll 2781 at Ely Sailing Club.

Loved the lines of the round bilged twelves of the time and purchased 3224 from chap in Suffolk. The last registered Tigress to my knowledge. Bob Hoare built hull,finished off by  the first owner (from RHYC I think?). Pale blue hull and still down to weight at the time. Had lots of fun learning in the boat and began venturing out to a few opens. Highlight was probably Burton Week at Pevensey in 93,  age 16 and my first time helming on the sea, being a pond sailor thus far. The waves seemed massive back then, with a launching party required on a breezy day 1.   Launching that day the rear toe strap fixing ripped out when I clumsily jumped aboard in the waves.  This caused the transom to  split from the hull. :o I was gutted but it was  nothing some epoxy and clamps borrowed from  Nigel Waller and Gerry could'nt  sort out in time for the next day. My boat handling improved over the next couple of years, and I  invested in some newer sails from Ullmans, a Gerry rudder and got Nigel to add some strengthening to the hull.  He was half way though building the original Foolish 3410 for Bim at the time. I remember the part finished hull looked really wide  deep and modern compared to my Tigress.

Did the 95 Burton Week then sold her on in 1996 having upgraded to 3368, a Final Chapter.  She went back to Suffolk (Deben YC I think). Wonder  if she still survives?      

Dan

edwillett

For sale on eBay September 2012, located in Devon. Wants some TLC.

edwillett

edwillett

and some more pics from ebay

edwillett

edwillett

final one. Hope she finds a good home!

edwillett

Failed to find a new home after the eBay ad and was broken up Winter 2012/13.

n12 Bottom Banner